I was all out of 'Hawks

Church & Son

Last week I wanted to throw a hawk and I couldn’t find a one here. Didn’t realize they had all gone to new owners.
So over the weekend I fired up the Redbud Forge and done four. This is the first sort of finished, still want to do a
little more to the haft and make a cover…

beard4.jpg

beard1.jpg

beard3.jpg

beard2.jpg

It is a wrap around made from a file and the beard is a piece of another real old Nicholson file heat welded in between.
(I don’t trust the iron in the newer ones for the cutting edge) All hand and file work.
17″ haft, head is 7″ with 3.5″ sharp. The haft is from a chunk of maple firewood I split a couple of years ago, drawfiled,
oiled, torched and scrapped. I only get a while at night to work on them so I’ll show the rest as they come along…….Randy

How does it throw? Has a "Norse appeal" to it. Waiting in anticipation for the other hawk photos.

Randy,
Love the rustic look of this one. I bet it's a blast throwing one of those, I would probably need an extra handle or two if I were throwing. :biggrin:
Can't wait to see more.
Bruce

Thanks Gents.
The bearded ones are a little top heavy so they kind of whip around. I made one for a deer hunter at realjob and he loves it. He chokes up on the handle right behind the head to skin and also has the weight to chop bones..........Randy

Good Morning Randy,
At first glance I thought this would work well in the field and then as I read comments, it does. I have done a little throwing and find it very relaxing, putting me into a totally different frame of mind. And then it is back to reality. Wade

Thanks Grafton, hope you are well
Thanks Wade, my hawk throwing sessions are very relaxing also, but my reality always involves making a new handle.....Randy

Back