Northeast Arkansas

Just wondering if there are any of you guys (girls) around the Northeast Arkansas area. I live on the South end of Crowley's Ridge between Jonesboro and Harrisburg. I've been playing around with knifemaking for several years but just recently got serious about trying to make something nice. I am working (learning) on a small drop point right now.First time heat treating so wish me luck. I really need a source for good used tools (hammers, tongs) that I don't have to drive 50 miles to pick up. Also it would be nice to have some face-to-face time with somebody local. So let me hear from you!!!

Ricky, I live in Conway but work in Forrest City. So, I spend alot of my time somewhat close to you.

As for tools local for you, you can check the little junk/antique store across the street from the school in Harrisburg. Last time I was thru there (about 2 months ago), he had several anvils for sale. If he has anything, I hope he gives better pricing to a "local" than he offered me.

Probably your best bet would be to order new tongs. You can typically find them for around $30-35 and know they are in good serviceable condition. Most of the serviceable used tools around our area get snagged up really quick.

If you have the opportunity to make it diwn to the Piney Woods Hammer-In in a couple of weeks, I'm sure "Uncle Al" will have some for sale at his table.

As for hammers, if you're in a pinch and want a low cost hammer you can check your local TSC. They typically carry 2,3, abd 4lb cross peen hammers. You'll want to clean up the face of the hammers before using them though.

Last edited:
Back