Australian Bulloak

Travis Fry

My Smithwick hunting knife has been one of my most popular designs, and here is the latest and nicest version I’ve made so far. This one is the first to feature a stainless steel blade (ATS-34) and has 416 stainless bolsters on both ends. Filework down the whole spine complements the birdseye Australian Bulloak scales that are attached with hidden pins. This is the first time I’ve used it, but I’m a really big fan of the Bulloak; it has a rich and warm natural color, the grain has a lot of depth and shimmer, and it’s very hard.

OAL: 7.3 inches | Blade: 3.3 inches

Knife185.jpg

Great looking piece Travis.
I'm not big on filework but the blade looks great in profile and I can appreciate the work involved.

So, uhhh......where did that great looking lumber come from ? Stabilized ? Probably not, being an Aussi wood. I can see me hoarding a few hundred brd/ft of that.

Rudy

Wow is about all I can say. You are an artist in steel and wood. I too would love to know where to find that amazing wood?

Thanks fellas. Rudy, honestly I'm not so much into filework either anymore. I made this blade almost a year ago and it sat heat treated and polished on the bench for all that time waiting for inspiration to strike while I made other knives.

To answer both questions about the wood I refer you to Rob at Bad Dogs Burl Source. All my best knives have wood from him, and he's a nice guy and great to deal with. He's also from Texas, which is a positive in my mind. You can't go wrong with Rob.

I'm second guessing myself these days; it may be sheoak and not bulloak. I was sure until I saw a set of bulloak scales on my wood shelf. I think I only had one of each, and if so I've mislabeled this. I'll confirm with Rob tonight so I don't keep calling it something it isn't; either way it came from him.

Travis,
Great looking knife and I second what you said about Rob at Bad Dogs. He is a great guy with great product. Wade

Wade,
I almost said something like "I know Wade Hougham uses him a lot too" in my initial response since I've seen your work on their site, but decided not to in case you'd actually mind. I'm glad you chimed in on your own; there aren't many folks I go out of my way to promote, but Rob is certainly one of them.

Travis that is a great looking knife, I LOVE the file work myself. The wood is very nice for sure. Is this one sold?
Bruce

Yep. They only go up for sale here or on other forums after the mailing list has the chance to pass. This one went in 7 minutes, so I guess I'm doing something right.

I just noticed you're from "near Knoxville." I spent a summer just outside Jellico back in college. That's some mighty pretty country you live in.

Stunning knife Travis! I love the wood regardless of what its called. This knife is a work of art. Thanks for sharing.

Eric

*Heads out to check "Bad Dogs Burl Source"*

Back