How do you hang/sort your belts?

BossDog

KnifeDogs.com & USAknifemaker.com Owner
Staff member
How do you hang and sort you belts?

Pictures would be great...

I don't currently have a picture, but I just made a "rack" out of a 2x4 and some conduit.

I just cut the conduit into equal sections (about 6" to 10" depending on how long you want it) and I drilled the appropriately sized holes about 4" apart to stick the lengths of conduit in. I actually angled mine a little bit so that gravity would help keep them in place, and then I screwd the 2x4 horizontally onto the wall.

You can make the 2x4 as long as you want and drill for as many pieces of conduit "pegs" as you'd like to hang belts on.

I have used 5/8" dowels in the wall spaced about a foot apart, first row at about 40" of the ground and next at 84"
Supposedly I have new belts on the top row and used ones on the bottom. I did that in the last two shops I had and am already making sure I will be able to do it again in my new shop just under way. Frank

Here is my belts. Just Hung from some hooks. On the side far left is my fine belts. Next is the course (36 &60 grit) then 120 grit. far right is 220 grit.

Attachments

• IMAG0282.jpg
    IMAG0282.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 92
I made a cabinet that measures 2' x 4' x 8' tall with a bunch of long pegs. Clean storage. I bet there are 200 belts stored in there. I buy them by the box on the bay.

Basically the same as Frank and AR. New belts from course to fine on the left, used belts from course to fine on the right.
I'll be moving shop before the end of the year and I must say Bruce's cabinet sounds like a great idea for cleaner storage.

My belts are hung from empty Prince Albert plastic containers. Mount the containers by first cutting rounds from 3/8 plywood to fit inside the can. Take the lid off the container, place the ply in the bottom and run 1 inch drive screws through the ply into a 2X6 that you can mount to the wall. The plywood offsets the fact that the plastic by itself is to brittle and thin.
Write the belt size on the lid of the plastic container and replace.
The round containers keep the belts from creasing.
The thing is you either have to smoke a lot of pipe tobacco or know someone who does.

doggon_jpg+011.jpg

Available at Harbor Freight. Plastic, cheap, just the right size for 2" belts. I think they're like $3.99 each.
SANY0015.jpg

This on the back of my grinder bench. 2" dowel screwed into a peice of plywood thats attached to the back of the bench.

IMG_0032.jpg

I use a board with 1/2 inch dowl that was drilled and then glued together . I allow the dowl to stick out about 8 inches so you can hang lots of belts on each one.
PICT0013-2.jpg

Back