Now what do I do?

SVanderkolff

Just finished this fighter and I don't like the way it turned out. The knife is 10 1/4" long. The blade is Delbert aly damascus, wonderful damascus by the way, the bolster is 416 satin finished and the handles are mammoth ivory with domed pins. Not sure what didn't work but somehow it just does not come together properly and now I have no idea what to do with it. I am sure there will be customers out there who will like it. I don't think I can take it apart and start over with out completely ruining it. Any suggestions?
Thanks
Steve

Attachments

• fighter-ealy-mammoth-0911.jpg
    fighter-ealy-mammoth-0911.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 115
french gray the bolster? tape it off and make it gray with a mild acid?

You could also rough it up with a burr in the Dremel (of course without damaging the scales), sand blast after covering up the blade and handle material and then lightly buff the high spots.

Since it turned out so bad <yeah, RIGHT!> just send it to me, I'll sacrifice and be seen with it! Thats the kind of guy I am, always helping!!!!!

Honestly Steve, I do NOT see a problem, I have made some that once they were done, I was thinking, "What the hell was I thinking?" I do not see that with that blade, it may not be what you wanted it to be, but it's still a pretty nice knife. If you were planning on selling it, put it up and see what happens! Rex

I think that if a customer sees it and likes it, then there's nothing wrong with selling it. I've yet to make a knife that turned out 100% the way I wanted, and I'm about to finish #89. Let the buyer be the judge, and as long as you aren't hiding any quality issues that should be that, IMO. This one looks pretty good, by the way.

Have you thought about embellishing the handle. I think scrimshaw could make a big difference on that knife. I don't think it looks bad to start with, and a little extra detail on the handle could be all that is needed.

Now that Max has pointed out the ricasso, I went back and looked at it and it is a bit large, BUT the change I would have made, since the bolster is curved, I would have done the plunge in the same manner. A straight plunge against a curved bolster disturbes the flow of the overall blade, aside from that, there aint NOTHIN wrong with it. Put it up for sale and see what happens! It's still a fine knife, no matter what most people think, luckily everyone is different and everyone has different tastes, likes and dislikes. That knife is PERFECT for someone! Trust me, I know an ugly knife when I see/make one. This one aint ugly, it may be lacking something for your eye, but you aint the customer!!!! I have one that I boo-boo'ed on, a piece of the maple burl flaked off when I was gluing it up, I dye my epoxy to match the color of the wood, and it filled it in nicely, but I wont put it up for sale for that reason, definitley will not put my name on it and about every person I've shown it to has tried to buy! The money would be nice, but my rep is more important to me.

I guess you have to be happy with it before you can put your seal of approval on it and that's the bottom line!

My offer still stands, if you hate it so, just send it to me, I'll happily pay for the shipping!!!!!!!
Rex

Thanks GHEzell, but I wasn't implying that it didn't look good, for the record, it's a great looking blade. I think the entire problem with the blade has more to do with the Makers satisfaction, and less to do with the blade. We've all been there, made a blade that just didn't crank our tractor, yet other people love it. I know I'm anal as hell about what I let leave my shop, and even more so about what I put my name on, it just has to be the best I can do, actually better than I can do. We all have high standards, and not every knife we make will meet those standards, luckily I like knives, and there is no such thing as having too many!!!!!

This is a subject that can be discussed a lot more, design, flow, etc. I know for my tastes, I like a lot of curves, I can't always make what I see in my head, or what I draw and I draw a lot and have for probablly 15 to 20 years, nothing but knives, I've come up with some wild stuff, most of which is above my skill level. The beauty of this forum is that we all get to share and learn from each other. Which makes us all better knife makers! Thanks Rex

I say before you jump into anything right now , go put the knife in a corner and start on a new knife . Dont think about or worry about the one you put aside . Go back to it in a few days, a week , whatever . Go back with a clear head , Im telling you , you will see the way to make it better. Weather its engraving or graying up the bolsters or whatever. Theres always a way and if you cant come up with something at that time, someone will buy that knife just the way it is . Theres always someone out there looking for a knife that you would never look at or a knife that doesnt have your interest. Personally , I see what you guys are talking about and how by working on that bolster area can make a difference for ones taste, but truthfully , its not that bad. I still think someone will buy it the way it is , and if you do go back and do some more work on it , it will still sell and it will make you feel better. My two sence. Those Design Modifications always seem to come through in the end .

Back