Notable Knives from the 2011 PKA Show in Denver

Buddy Thomason

This thread features knife portraits I made as official show photographer - now my 4th year in that role. I've learned a lot and been able to advance my craft because the PKA took a chance on me when Terrill Hoffman, friend and superb knife photographer who'd served them well for years decided to move on (His work is now mostly featured in the tactical knife publications) and suggested me to the PKA board. I thank Terrill, the PKA and most of all the makers and others who attend that show every year and pay me to shoot their knives! While it's not been easy winning them over - Terrill was so well-liked; he's a great guy - my showing up repeatedly every year is working to cement some friendships.

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Click on this one (twice to open all the way). The sword was 52 in. OAL.! I had to shoot it in 4 installments and stitch 'em together. Whew! For a two handed sword it had good weight and balance. The blade is nicely tapered.

orig.jpg

The collaboration piece below is interesting because custom knife icon Rudy Ruana, grandfather to Bud & David, actually forged the blade a long time ago. Apparently he would sometimes make a knife but fashion extra blades for his grandsons so they might share making a second version of the knife. Here's one that finally recently got made! Pretty cool. Naturally the Ruana boys' style is highly reminiscent of of Rudy's.

orig.jpg

Thank you for sharing these excellent photos, Buddy. Terrific knives + terrific photos = a great post!

Good Job Buddy. Great looking blades from some great makers.

I missed you again at Blade this year, but if the Good Lord is willing and the creeks don't rise, I'll be there again next year.

Robert

Back