Need full time work? Repair pocket knives

BossDog

KnifeDogs.com & USAknifemaker.com Owner
Staff member
A couple times a week I get an email asking for replacement parts or to repair an old pocket knife that is special to them. We don't do that and I don't know who does. I do know someone could have more than a full time job repairing and restoring pocket knives -- or any knife for that

If anyone wants to try taking on some projects, I will send you referrals if some asks me.

Let me tell you a bit of what you would be "in for".
Many of these knives need a screw or two. Maybe half. You would need to figure out the size and screw and be able to replace it AND charge fairly for your time. This means you would need to gather up a large assortment of screw types and sizes.

Other knives are just flat worn out and would require you to fabricate back springs, blades, etc.

Other knives have the scales chipped, cracked, etc and need to be replaced.

Many times these knives retail for $50 or less so you can imagine how much someone would pay. Many times these are family hand me downs and money isn't all that important.

Taking apart and rebuilding a folder, especially a soldered folder or other slip joint design is not all that easy.

A fixed blade rehab is a bit more straight forward and you would just need to work out the details with the customer.

In a week or so, I will gather up names/emails/phone numbers of those interested and I will email this out to people that contact my supply business for parts or repair.

Thanks again. I would definitely not take any work I didn't feel I could do properly. I really enjoy cleaning and repairing knives especially when I know they're users or heirlooms.

Midwest Knifemakers Supply, llc will maintain a list of knife makers interested in making knife repairs or refurbishing knives or replacing missing parts. When we get an inquiry from someone asking for parts, repair or refurbish of a knife, we will forward the list to them. Keep in mind that replacing a simple set of screws for a client may bring you a lot more work later through a word of mouth referral than anything else you do.

Fill this "form" out:
Full Name:
Mailing Address:
Phone number(s) to contact you:
email address
:
Type of knife (fixed, folder or both):
Any comments for potential client such as experience, rates, interests, specialty, etc:

email the above form filled out to tracy.usakms@gmail.com (no PMs on this please)

When we get an inquiry from a potential client we will forward the list to them upon their request. It will be up to the client to contact you. If you find this isn't for you after all, let us know and we will remove you from the list.

Here is an example of what to send us.
John C Doe
123 Any Street
Knifeton, MN 55512

johnc123@gmail.com

I can repair fixed or folding knives.

I have 12 years fixed blade and 5 years of folding knife making experience. I can repair or refurbish your damaged knife. I can also make custom knives to your specifications. Shop rate to repair a knife is $15 per hour with a 1 hour minimum. Materials used will be an additional charge. Client pays shipping both ways. You can see the knives I have made at my personal web site: JohnCDoeKnives@jcd.com

If we get feedback from a client that is less than it should be or a knife maker doesn't respond to a client, we will simply remove them from the list. Like wise if we get any positive feedback, we will add to your "listing".

Last edited:
Boss
I would be in for slipjoint repair. However like you said many times people dont understand that in order to replace a broken spring you are all but rebuilding the knife. I do quite a bit of repair work locally, but due to the time and work involved it isnt cheap. Most knives I repair are heirloom knives that the customer wants to restore back to original condition as close as possible. (even though this may destroy any market value). In those cases they are willing to pay more than the knife is worth just for sentimental reasons.

Sean

send me the info listed above and I will start the list...

Got em.
Beth is our customer service manager and she will keep up the list and send it out.

We have put together a list of makers that have indicated they are interested in repair/refurb work. We will send this out on request to potential clients. The rest will be up to you. If you want on the list, let me know.

Back