Making a bush sword (part of it, at least)

Stormcrow

These were some progress shots taken by the photographer to whom I traded a bush sword (Paul Cruz). This isn't all of the process, of course, but it gives at least some idea of what's involved in making a bush sword.

Processing the steel:

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

After all the forging is completed, the profile is finalized on a grinder, and the blade has the scale cleaned off, filing the primary bevel:

08.jpg

10.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

Heating the blade for the first quench:

16.jpg

17.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg

This is my favorite picture from the whole photo shoot: :)

21.jpg

22.jpg

The first quench into veggie oil: Note that the camera isn't necessarily showing the color in the steel accurately.

23.jpg

24.jpg

25.jpg

26.jpg

27.jpg

Checking with a file to ensure that the blade hardened properly (it did):

28.jpg

Time to do it again: This happens three times unless there is a warp that requires re-heating to fix.

30.jpg

31.jpg

32.jpg

33.jpg

Many warps (and long blades are more prone to that than short blades) can be fixed without reheating if you work quickly and carefully. There is a short time window after the quench before the steel crystals fully set up, and during that time the blade can be flexed back straight. Here I am doing that using my post vise and my vertical quench tank to flex against:

34.jpg

Who is that handsome devil with the stylishly long sideburns? :D

IMG_0008-2corrected4x6.jpg

What an amazing process. It is so cool to see all the photos and the steps it takes. I envy your knowledge and skill, thanks for sharing with us

Thanks, y'all!

Cougar337 - It's been a matter of perusing the Interwebz for knife forums daily for years, reading books, and most importantly, trying stuff out to get what knowledge and skill I possess.

Back