Lanynard Hole?

Lerch

Hi all, this is my first time installing a lanyard and i am not sure of what diameter to drill the hole at, the tubing i ordered for the lanyard is 1/4" and i have already drilled 1/4" holes in the blade tang. I caliper measure the hole (.251") and the stainless steel tubing (.249") , i tried to push the tubing by hand through the hole and it fits all the way to the other side where it hangs up on what i am guessing is roughness from me grinding off the drill marks.

when i am ready to install the lanyard tube do i just cut to desired length and then use a little hammer to tamp it through lightly?? When i go to epoxy the lanyard tube in do i need to rough up the outsides of it to ensure a good hold? And what about epoxy overflow into the tube itself, do i just swab it out with some alcohol or do i drill it out with a smaller drill bit later?

sorry for all the questions and thanks!!

steve

The hang up may be from the very slightest of misallignment of the holes in your handle material and tang. I'v encountered the same problem so right before glue up I always bolt everything up and then redrill the hole with the handle material in place. I find this helps to clear up the hang up so to say. I'm not sure what the other guys do for thier thong tubing, but I scuff it up a bit with a 120-220gr sandpaper. I leave the thong tubing a bit long for glue up and then cut it to length after the epoxy has set (of course, this only works if you finish shaping your handle after glue up, otherwise I would cut it to length prior to glue up). As for the glue remaining inside the tubing, try putting a little oil on a Q-tip and running it thru the tubing prior to glue up. I light coat should work to help to dislodge the hardened epoxy after it sets.

Ya i dont have any handle material on right now, just wanting to make sure im on the right path before i do heat treat, i should have specified that . With a little tapping the tubing makes it through fine,

You can chuck the cut off length of tubing in your drill press and take a fine file and dress the outside of the tubing to remove a little material until it slides through. Have one end stuck in chuck,dress, then reverse tubing so you do both ends,

Hi Steve,
I use a 6.4 mm drill, it's a few thou over 1/4". I also twist up some paper towel and stuff inside the tubing pretty tight, then cut off flush with a razor blade. that will keep epoxy out and is easy to push out later.
Clint

If you try cleaning up the tube like Mike suggested and it still doesn't fit, try carbide burr and a Dremil, you can make a few passes inside your lanyard hole to open it up just a bit, epoxy will fill in any excess. A carbide F drill bit will do the trick as well.

The tube fits through the hole, i tried earlier and it fit with just a little tapping. I guess i am going to rough up the outside of the tube a little, the epoxy it in a little over sized and after it dries along with the handle slabs and all then i will grind it and the slabs down and texture as i normally would

sound good?

Steve I will add one more thing. After you have it ground flush with the handle material and are finishing it up , take that 1/4 inch drill bit and break that sharp corner on the interior of the tube. It will give a smoother tranisition and keep from cutting any lanyard material.

okay, will do Mike, thanks

i should be done with it this weekend, gotta figure out how to do tow tone G10 and micarta handles, he wants OD green micarta grips with blaze orange G10 upper handle (bolster) so it will take a little longer than i had planned since i have never tried any of this lol

thanks

Back