best way to heat a shop?

clancy

For someone living here in the North winter is never far away.

I need to replace my old oil furnace and I wonder what is the best way to heat my shop? I will be working there most
days so I need some cheap method to keep the shop about 60 degrees. I heat the house with wood but I need some automatic heat for the days I don't get to the shop.

What works for you?

Best thing for me is living in Texas. My shop is 108 degrees right now--plenty warm by most standards. Bring on the winter!

Geothermal is the best way in my opinion. You have heating in the winter and cooling in the summer for $1 a day. The initial set up is a bit expencive at around $1000-2000 so its only worth it if you will be there for a few years.

Walk into your basement year round and its a very comfortable working tempature around 56 degrees, a good geothermal system will come very close to matching that tempature.

With the dust generated in most shops, the best heater i have found is the oil type radiators. They work great! No fans and good control.
Got mine at TSC. About $80 if I remember right.
GOD BLESS!!!
Michael

everyone thanks for the reply. I like the oil type radiator idea but, Cost wise I think I will be limited to wood, wood pellets, coal, oil or propane as a heat source. I can't afford to rewire the shop for electric heat.

Anyone ever try one of those hanging propane tube heaters like Northern Tool sells?

ernie

The more knives you grind, the more sparks you make, the more warm inside! Gas heaters do the job, just make sure CO2 levels stay safe in your environment.

I like my natural gas forced air furnace. it was salvaged from a house that was getting demolished. the thermostat won't go lower than 45 degrees so it's always above freezing. there are some good waste oil heaters out now too.

I have a wood burning stove with a fan heat exchanger on the flu. It works great and I cut firewood in the fall and use it the following year. Flu exchangers can be bought for about 200.00 at tractor supply (sure others sell one) I made mine from an old gas fired heater. Pot belly stove at harbor freight for about 150.00. I have a 800 sq. ft. shop and it keeps it warm when freezing outside.

I have a metal lay out table with a propane heater under it. The heat comes up and spreads out across the bottom of the table, spreading the heat and sending it out right were I need it. Doesn't take long to heat up the needed area then I have to turn it off.

Back