Knifemakers Guild Show Louisville Ky. Sept. 15-18

zbq

Sorry if this was posted earlier, I couldn't find it if it was.

Any Knife Dogs going to be there?
I did recognize Cliff Fendely on the list of table holders, not sure of any others.

I'll tell ya what, that hotel is some swanky digs!!
I just checked and the KMG rate is $129.00 per night and they still have rooms.

I'll be there, gotta go up a day early to get my knives inspected again. Hopefully they will like them and vote me in as a full voting member. Ya'll wish me luck!

I made a reservation for Saturday night, so unless something bizarre happens I should be there Saturday and Sunday.
Really looking forward to this. It will be my first "knife show"...meaning a show ONLY about knives...being a newbie, I'm sure I will be walking around with my chin on the floor with all the beautiful knives on display.

I do have a question....having never been to a knife only show, are there any "etiquette" issues I should know about? I'm honestly not there to BUY a knife, but more for the "spectator" aspect as well as trying to find knife making supplies. I definitely plan on stopping at Brad Vice's booth to get some of his Alabama damascus. ......one thing I have been wondering about....is it wrong, disrespectful or inappropriate to ask to look at a knife to see it's beauty up close, if you honestly aren't going to buy it? Being a newbie, I would be lying if I said that looking at the knives, at least partially, wasn't to pick up ideas on designs and materials. The remainder, for me anyways, is the enjoyment I derive form holding a knife and "feeling" it, the fit to my hand, the balance, the textures, the heft, does it feel like a natural extension of my hand....anyways, any guidance would be appreciated, I surely don't want to upset anyone by being disrespectful....

Oh, forgot....will you be there Saturday and Sunday Calvin?
If so, it would be pretty nice to meet someone from Knife Dogs...
Let me know and we can exchange info on a way to contact each other.

It's alway nice to ask to pick up and handle a knife on someones table.I will tell folks to pick them up and enjoy them.
Stan

Oh, absolutely. I wouldn't even dream of picking up someones knife without asking first.
My only worry is offending someone if I ask to see the knife when I have no intentions of buying it.

No, your not going to offend them,I enjoy people handleing my knives at shows wether they buy or not.
Stan

Hey zbq , It's always best to just tell the maker you're a newbie maker . You'll be surprised by how many of us will help you out once we know ... Ask them how they did this or that , they'll tell you . Have fun !!

Oh, forgot....will you be there Saturday and Sunday Calvin?
If so, it would be pretty nice to meet someone from Knife Dogs...
Let me know and we can exchange info on a way to contact each other.
I'll be there Friday, Saturday and Sunday, stop by my table or call me, 850-572-1504.
Keep in mind that knifemakers are there to sell knives, if you want to talk and look and hold the knives you are welcome to at my table but please be aware of other people moving down the isles who also want to look and possibly buy.
I have plenty of free passes if anyone needs one.
See you there!

Looking forward to seeing you all there.

[video=youtube_share;e3jO4dmdQzg]http://youtu.be/e3jO4dmdQzg[/video]

zbq, the Guild Show is always an educational experience for me. I couldn't tell you how much I have learned from talking to the other kinfemakers and asking how they did this or that. I always come away a better knifemaker because of something I learned at the show.

Thanks guys for the words of wisdom.
Looking forward to seeing you.

Just curious, would it be inappropriate of me to bring one or two of my knives with me, not to sell, but to get some feed back and/or pointers from the experts on my work? I seriously doubt that my work is of the quality necessary to sell ....yet.

Would this be against show rules? Or just "not the right thing to do"?
I have looked at the website and the only rules I can find are for exhibitors, not attendees.

I will also be there again , good Lord willing. I am lookin forward to see everyone from Knife dogs. Please stop by and say hello. Solid Rock Knives. I would love to meet all you other knife dogs. Scott

Just curious, would it be inappropriate of me to bring one or two of my knives with me...

Not at all, I brought a handful last year and got a lot of great tips and feedback from some of the best makers on the planet. It would be silly NOT to bring a knife or two and ask questions about how to improve them :)

I won't make it this year, so make sure y'all say hi to everyone for me and take lots of pictures!

Back