Prison Shiv as High Art?

liontribe

this is the Makeshift. it is a nasty little bit of 5160 that i think came out nicely. the finish is natural. i left some super thick stock out in the elements for almost two years. can't beat the real thing.

liontribe

Makeshift021.jpg

Makeshift023.jpg

Makeshift015.jpg

Makeshift017.jpg

I don't think it looks like a prison shiv (too cleanly ground and well-made) and I wouldn't know high art if it bit me on the behind... but whatever it is, I like it!

Its a right fine example of raw utility and elegant design. My question is... did you heat treat it prior to exposing it to the elements? ...grind it in its hardened state?

that is a good question. all the stock was in an annealed state when i left it to weather. i always do all my shaping, profiling and rough grinding before HT. afterwards, i lightly blasted all the surfaces to remove the scale, rust, etc. that left it nice and battered and ready for final grinding. just don't get it hot doing the final work and you are golden. i really had fun making this piece. i don't do chisel grinds too much anymore. the are kinda fun and different.

liontribe

Looks MUCH nicer than any of the shanks that I have confiscated from inmates over the years.
The test of leaving it out in the elements for 2 years shows how good of a steel 5160 is.
Looks pretty nice too.

liontribe,
Inside the wall's, I can hear it now, that's too nice to cut somone with. I like your style. Wade

Hey if I was in prison I would want that shiv!!! It looks like it could get the job done no matter what the job was. When men first made knives, they made them to protect themselves, kill game, etc. There is a certain beauty to a knife that was built just for function. Or at least there is in my eyes. I love it.

thanks for the good feedback, guys. i never know if what i like will be of any interest to anyone else. this little cutter is one of my new favorites.

liontribe

Back