File work in the handle area?

Lerch

I was doing a little file work on the spine of the blade on a knife tonight and after seeing several pics of knives with beautiful file work on the spin in the handle region i had a question. On most the knives i see with file work in the handle area the worked regions all have a dark appearance that makes the file work stand out more. I have been using clear epoxy so i was wondering how i could do this. i would expect to have some epoxy overflow in the handle region that i would usually grind off as i shaped my handle material, are they using a dark epoxy and just using lots to make sure they have full coverage in the file worked areas???

i hope i am wording this question right ll

thanks
steve

Folks mix colored pigments with their epoxy to achieve the look you're talking about. It fills in the filework so it doesn't clogged with gunk, and makes it stand out nicely. I'm not familiar with the actual products used, hopefully someone will post links.

Steve
Knife and Gun Supply sell an epoxy coloring agent that you mix to color. They have a black,red,white,flesh, and blue last time I ordered. A little goes a long ways. Some have used paint pigment to color also. You basically fill the file work a little above the metal then sand down to the level of steel and handle material to finish it up.

I've had good luck using testors paint to color epoxy...used sparingly as Mike noted. Also seems to help hold the epoxy if you leave the low spots on the filework unpolished after heat treat.

In making my own mosaic pins, I've found India Ink to be the least expensive and easiest way to color epoxy. Though, I have my questions as to what effect it has on the glue's ability to adhere.

Okay, thanks Mike, thanks all

ya that is what i was figuring. i will have to order some of that dye, thanks

steve

If USA Knifemakers Supply doesn't have it, Texas Knifemakers Supply does.
I use Rit fabric dye from the grocery store in the powdered form and dust a little in the epoxt till you get the color you need.
Works great and doesn't alter the adherance.

Steve

Back