" Hometown Heroes " Our next Knife Dog Military Build

Bill T

Hey Guys , this is just a preliminary report on a Military Build I'm working on . Alot of things still need to be worked out though , so bear with me .
The main things I'm trying to accomplish with this Build , will hopefully eliminate the concerns of our previous Build ; that being knowing the Name of the recipient and then delivering it to him .​

I'm going to put it out right at the beginning of this - - This Build is going to ask more of the Maker than before . But I guarantee you , the rewards are Greater .​

There really aren't any easy ways , believe it or not , to get knives in the hands our soldiers once they are deployed . Unless you are a soldier in a particular unit , you wouldn't know about deployment dates , and that info isn't broadcasted - for obvious reasons .​

It can be done to a certain degree , but it still puts us at a disadvantage , as things change - constantly . There is no way of knowing for certain - as a public forum . And even if you were best friends with a General of a particular unit , then you still can't really tell us , now could you ? So it still prevents any real opportunity for a Name to a Knife .​

Still , the only way to know for certain , is to know beforehand .​
Here's what I've come up with - this is the Work/Reward ..​

I've been going to see a Marine Recruiter at his office a couple of times this month .​
Why?
Because that's the only other way to get what we want .​
Basically , the way it works is -​
You find a Marine Recruiter (I'll explain why shortly) .​
You explain the concept of a build-off .​
While there , look around at the young faces - pick one - or 2 - or all .​
Shake some hands , get to know them . You'll be making him a knife ..​

The reason for a Marine Recruiter is because of the consistant time frames for Boot camp , then Adv. Inf. Training .​
All Marines have a 12 week Boot camp , followed by 10 days back home , then on to a 2 1/2 month AIT . That gives a 5 month window to get it done .​
Another reason for keeping it to 1 Branch is , I can have my Recruiter call a Recruiter in another city and give him a heads up , that we're on the level . That way , if Rudy says he's going into Boston on Fri to talk to a recruiter , I call the Sgt. and he makes a call to Boston . Makes things smoother ..​

Basically Guys , the only way to get what you want out of this , is to go out and get it yourself .
The opportunities to meet the recipient are before Boot and on their 10 days at home . Most come back and do some Duty at the Recruitment office during that time .​

I know this won't appeal to all , but it's what I've come up with . I have something else in mind for those that can't or won't . So don't worry we still need you !​

I know I haven't addressed any material issues yet . I've been going over some ideas with Aldo , who has covered the steel - again ! For up to 100 knives !​

I'm going to ask that no one volunteer at this time , as I am not sure what is going to be asked of you . I don't want to hurt anyones feelings ... yet . You are going to have to be a complete maker though .. knife and sheath - preferably Kydex .

I'm also going to say , being former Military (Army) , that walking into that Recruiters office did something to me . It's been a long time since I felt what I did - no words for it . If you're former Military - Please just try it , I guarantee you , you'll thank me ..​

Like I said earlier , a long way to go yet . Please be patient . And please tell me what you think .​

Thanks , Bill​

Excellent. I am looking forward to this one.
One thing to keep in mind is there is always a lot of passion around these and everyone wants to be heard and have a say. The reality is that everyone won't get exactly what they want and it is easy to get a bit worked up over that. Keep in mind the cause and be flexible. If the conditions of this build are not what you would like to see happen, volunteer for the next one.
Thanks
T

Great thing you're putting together Bill.
AsI heard you say ,you are also one of the "Good guys"

God bless,Keith

Very interesting way to go about it. Definitely gonna jump on board.

BTW my stepson was just accepted to train for a chance to be in Marines special ops. Hope his hard work pays off.

Pat

Bill,

Thanks for the opportunity to serve. I'm in with both feet and looking forward to the design phase!

Aldo

If you want something done right - go to the Marines. I'm all over this, Bill. If any of you guys can do everything but the sheath just let me know. I will be happy to make sheaths and supply the Kydex/Concealex and hardware at no charge. Let's do this thing!!!!!

The enthusiasum around here is starting to snowball.
I feel good things coming from this, not only making a useful tool for those in harms' way, but tightening us up as a community.

Alright....with that said, it's back to cremudgeonville.

Rudy

This Build is being designed around each Maker going to a Recruitment office , Preferably in their own hometown , hence "Hometown Heroes" .

I thought that would satisfy the desire to put a name to the knife , while at the same time , giving the Maker an actual stake in the Soldier's future .​

So how many of you are willing to invest that kind of time ?
I really need to know . And even if you wanted to , is there one nearby ?​

I will give it a shot, Bill. The local recruiting office is close by, I think you have to make an appointment to talk with the other branches but the Marines are always representin'!

I would prefer to makes knives and send them. I don't see myself being able to visit a recruiter.
I'm hoping we have people that will do both and I will help supply knives.

Steve

This is a cool idea and I am in for sure. Might be a good idea to form smaller regional groups for more remote areas and local groups in the bigger cities. This way the guys who just want to make knives can work with those willing to go and meet with the recruiters and the best of both worlds would be achieved. I am in Phoenix and willing to work in whatever capacity is needed. Exciting stuff!

Back