God's Grace

Rob Nelson

I was SIQ for a couple of weeks with pneumonia; bad enough I had to stay home, I couldn't work in my shop. I don't know about you, but when I'm sick like that I get sorta low in my spirit. This past Monday I woke up as about as down as I've been, letting my mind go places it didn't need to be - cross between being cooped up, feeling miserable, and nothing to do but think. And then God stepped in ...

I got an email from a guy I know congratulating me on my selection for LCDR. I wasn't up for promotion, the zone was very tight, and the list was very short ... but I got a below zone selection. That's as rare as hen's teeth in my community. Hard to feel proud about something I didn't try for ... God's grace.

Not long after that I got a call from the detailer saying because I was selected they had to change my orders. Now I'm going to the USS George Bush - great job I wouldn't have know to ask for (blessing #1), and I will be able to spend time with my son for his senior year, which is really important to me (blessing #2). Again, hard to be proud about a blessing you didn't ask for.

There's a whole lot of meaning to me in that whole experience, God is definitely gracious.

Maybe you had a little track record going that might make a blessing a tiny bit understandable.

Congrats LCDR, thanks for taking care of the troops, Craig

Back