Just started my fillet knife project

Lerch

hi all

well tonight i got started on a fillet knife for a buddy of mine. it is 1/16" 440C stainless. I profiled the blade but before i started the primary grind i went ahead with the heat treat.

my question is this, I am using 1/8" pins and after talking to another knife maker he stated that given the flexibility of a fillet knife the area where my handle material meets the blade would be prone to breaking the epoxy bond so i would need to add some pins there to boost the strength. so i did as i was told and drilled the holes and went ahead with the heat treat

here is a pic
309258_234591079918068_212765782100598_647946_2391799_n.jpg

my question is does the create a severe weak spot/breaking point for the knife when the bending that you expect of a fish fillet knife come into test????

thanks
steve

well what im asking is if the knife will hold up to practically expected stresses (cleaning fish) or if that weak point is too much and the build is a bust and i should start over??

Lose the holes and start over . Did your friend tell you to put 3 holes in a row like that ? in that spot ?

He told me that the end of the handle material toward the blade would the be the most stressed part with the blade flexing and the handle material resisting. He said to add some pins there so i drilled the holes and then quickly realized the potential issue. jsut not sure what to do now, i hate to trash it but that may be the best option.

thanks
steve

I have to agree with the others, that will not last long. I suggest one hole and a corby bolt to take care of the epoxy bond...

That's almost exactly how I drill barstock when I want to break off a chunk the quick and dirty way. Couple whacks with a cold chisel and it comes right apart. Just sayin'.

I'm not sure how that would hold up after HT and sandwiched between metal bolsters, but you've removed nearly half the steel right where it's subject to most of the stress it will endure when flexing.

Last edited:
Ya, that is pretty much exactly what i was thinking James . I talked to the buddy i was making it for and told him that i would go ahead and finish it and when/if it breaks i would make him another one for free. he was more than happy with that. so i will proceed with it this weekend and we will see what we can come up with

That seems reasonable to me :) If he uses it like a filet knife and not an axe or prybar, it may well last a lifetime. But I wouldn't take the same chance on a regular basis ;)

Ha Ha, no sir! he is a good friend and he knows this is my first try at the subject so he is reasonable. he is a smart guy so i think he will use it as intended

thanks
steve

Back