What I've been doing instead of making knives

Travis Fry

Unfortunately I've not made a knife since May. I bought a house and have been checking off honey-dos, but I'm about to get going again. In case some few were wondering what I've been up to, check out the following before and after photos. In the after photo you can't see that I also retiled the shower and replaced the tub.

Before:
Bathroom-1-of-1.jpg

After:
Bathroom-1-of-1-2.jpg

Looking good!!! I can't believe you took that wallpaper down...:biggrin: The house me and my wife bought had wallpaper in every room in the house! I got so sick of peeling wallpaper!!

That was part of the reason we put up wainscoting. That way we only had to peel off half the wallpaper! Still, removing wallpaper took more time than replacing the bathtub or tiling the floor.

Great job Travis... I really like wainscoting when used in the right setting, such as this.

You even added crown molding! Very nice touch.

I'll never understand for the life of me why anybody puts carpet in a bathroom.

Nice job on the remods though. Crown molding looks good too. The guy we bought our house from put crown in our bathroom... Really nice solid oak. Too bad he put it all on upside down. 45'd all the miters also. Or at least he tried to. I can just about fit my finger in the gaps on all the corners.

I put myself through most of college as a trim carpenter, so I get a little distraught when I see poor trim jobs. :cursing:

I didn't go through college doing it, but I put up crown in the entire downstairs of my last house. About 1400sf worth... Measure twice, step back and "figger", measure again, walk to saw, go back and measure again, then go cut. :)

I didn't go through college doing it, but I put up crown in the entire downstairs of my last house. About 1400sf worth... Measure twice, step back and "figger", measure again, walk to saw, go back and measure again, then go cut. :)

Measure thrice, cut twice? :D

it was more like 4 measurin's and several sessions of "figgerin" before ever making a cut. LOL

Looks good. I like how you did the tile on a 45, and put the lights above the mirror. You definitely changed alot there.

I am the master of the sub standard mitred cut! If you can get a finger in the mitre in your house...I can get two in mine!!! I win.

...aint it funny how your honey always comes before everything else? Aint life miserable if she dont?

Thanks for the comments guys. All in all it was actually pretty fun. I had my dad help with the tub reinstallation. My wife did all the design work and helped when I needed it. My favorite part was building the cabinet. Running wire for the light over the shower in the attic in August in Texas with 16-18 inches of blown insulation all around was the worst. I had to lay out flat in that stuff to fit under the roof pitch (shudder), but it does keep the bills down.

All told though, if it didn't keep me from the knife shop I'd probably take up remodelling as a hobby. To me the motivation is similar; I love the pride I feel when I've built something well.

Well, done sir. It looks nice. My wife and I bought an older house and I will never forget, or forgive myself for uttering those famous words - "That's all cosmetic stuff, we can fix that".

It's taken a while and I am still not done all the way, but I can now do a quite respectable job of drywall work, tile work, wood floor installation, installing kitchen and bath cabinets and on an on. I actually enjoy doing most of it, but it can wear on ya some too.

Back