Shop/tools suggestions

Cojab

Hello all,

I'm a complete beginner but wanting to learn about making knives. I've been reading and studying as much as possible and want to start putting together my shop.
My questions are what basic tools should I be looking at. Do most people use a bandsaw to cut out patterns or use a grinder. If a bandsaw, what is a good one and I'm assuming theres a difference (besides just the blade) between a wood and a metal one.
Also, I was thinking about building my grinder with the no weld grinder plans. Whats everyones experience with these.

Thanks for the help and many more questions to follow I'm sure.

Personally, I currently using my belt grinder (as well as a hacksaw and/or angle grinder) to cut out and profile my blades, but I am thinking about getting used porta-band to help things along and save belts.

As for the type of bandsaw, you definitely want a metal cutting band saw, or one that can be slowed down to the proper FPM with a decent metal cutting blade. Most guys typically put a makeshift table on a porta band, or they get a horizotal metal cutting band saw and mod that out.

Concerning the NWGS, that's what I built and use, and for the money, I don't think you'll find a better, more versatile/expandable grinder. Even if you can only afford to use a 3 or 4 step pulley system for speed changes.

Now, as for other tools you should buy, that's kind of up to you and your budget. Some guys start with nothing more than some files, sandpaper, and a couple C-clamps. If you can afford a decent drill press, you're that much farther ahead. If not, get a cheaper benchtop model. If not that, get a cheap corded drill until you can afford something else.

If you've got something to cut, grind, and and drill, you're probably good to go for at least a few basic knives. ;)

Try your first with some hand files. You can file the blade shape on the steel, make the edge, and clean the edge (Make it smoother) using some basic hand files. Their cheap and you'll never regret buying them because you will always need them no matter how great your tools are :)

-Pedro G.

Thank you both for the replies.
Andrew, I think I am going to look around for a used band saw thinking that it would just make things easier. I was also looking at getting a drill press anyways so thats also on the list. After those are gotten I think the plan is to build the NWGS but maybe welding it up. I already have clamps, files, angle grinders etc. so I should be getting there.
Pedro, thank you also for replying. I read your first knife build and am impressed. Especially the handle. Great job and I hope my first comes out that good. Thanks for the advice on the files.

Thank you very much, but that knife wasn't my first, I just don't progress too fast ^_^ it's been a year or two since I started, I've made maybe 6-8 knives. Doing your first with hand files just give you a better feel for the knife making process as a whole (It did to me at least although it was my second I tried this way). It is a painfully slow task but much worth it in the end.

All it takes is patience. That usually goes a long way because when you work slower your able to correct mistakes before they go too far.

Now i'm still pretty new but these are the two cents worth that i've learned so far :)

Good luck with your first knife and I sincerely hope it comes out 100 times better than mine!

And your welcome! ^_^

-Pedro G.

Last edited:
I concur with Pedro's advice about making your first knife with files. I made my first couple of knives with hand tools only. You really get to see how your knife progresses. One thing to remember is that power tools help get things done faster, but they can also screw up things faster.

It sounds like you have enough tools to start making a knife. Just get some steel and go for it!

Ric

Back