Need help with Stainless selection for 3 special knives

Lerch

Just found out recently that me and another buddy of mine drew some decently hard to draw elk tags in Wyoming and i am wanting to make knives to give to the buddy and another buddy that is helping with the hunt. the guy without the tag is coming along to just help spot a good trophy and since he is a taxidermist help get a good cape

I am looking for what would be the "best" stainless steel for the blades. I have been working with 440c and cpm154 and i also have two precision ground 18" pieces of cpms30v available for use. I would like to not spend more than $80 for each sheet (2 total) for the steel.

I am looking for something that will hold a hell of a edge for a long time, through 2 elk and some bone breaking and possible a mule deer. Sharpening in the field may be a issue due to lack of equipment so i am hoping for something that leaves the trip shaving sharp and will last through the above listed usage.

I have thought about 35vn or Elmax if i can find it. any recommendations? these are gift knives so i would like to not spend a fortune on them but i know the "super steels" aint cheap and i am okay with that too

I would like them to be 5/32" thickness if that helps

thanks
steve

Last edited:
One thing about the stainless steels that hold one heck of an edge is that they can be difficult to sharpen and tend to be more brittle, which might lead to problems with bone breaking. Personally, my feeling is that if you don't go into the field with equiptment adequate to process the game you have no business going into the field. Honestly, how much of a problem is it to carry a diamond hone or a wet stone with you? If you stayed with one of the carbon steels you might even be able to fine a flat rock out in the field to renew the edge on your knife.

Doug

I personally believe ELMAX or even M390 is your best choice here. Both hold an edge better than S35VN and are easier to sharpen. If it's cutting performance youre after go with M390. Elmax is a little tougher and is great for hard use and really both steels are extremely tough IMO. As far as price you can either buy a piece of ELMAX from USA Knife Maker Supply very resonably and get several knives out of it for cheapest per knife option or for about $80.00, in the thickness you are looking for, you can get a piece of either m390 or ELMAX from Alpha Knife Supply that you can get at least two knives out of. Hope that helps.

I would recommend you check out Carpenter's CTS-XHP. The only blades I have used made from this were all made by our resident "Rock Star", Les George. The first blade of Les's that I tested, my goal was to see how long the blade would hold it's shaving sharp edge. I did so by shaving curls from a red oak board and slicing cardboard. Long story short, I had to take a break before I managed to dull the knife to the point that it would no longer shave. Once I was finally able to reach my goal, it took only 4-5 strokes of each side of the blade across a ceramic rod to get it back to razor sharp.

Elmax is the toughest stainless I have beaten on. My next metal order will have m390 as it is a bit tougher although I am not sure what it gives up on.

Okay well i ordered some Elmax from ya boss dog, i will give it a try when it gets here!!!

Boss, what sizes of m390'are you planning to order? I have a project I'm planning and trying to decide on the steel.

Back