SEEING SPOTS! Need some advice.

HHH Knives

Super Moderator
Hello, Im getting spots in my pics.. I use a cannon EOS 30D and have enjoyed the camera alot! Over the last few months I started to notice small dark spots in my photos.. I have cleaned the lense and there still there.. please explain how I would go ablout cleaning this or solving this problem.. Or do I have to send this in to cannon to get cleaned properly?

Here is a photo showing the SPOTS!!! Uggg..

Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated!

God Bless
Randy

Attachments

• Blade 001.jpg
    Blade 001.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 93
I am guessing that is dust inside the body on the sensor.

Have you dropped the camera or jarred it hard recently? If so, it's possible the seal on the lens may be broken. If the seal is broken it's common to get fungal growth on the inside of the lens, particularly if you are in a humid client.

do you have another lens you can try? If it doesn't show using another lens then that's what I would suspect.

I have never dropped the camera, I think I have a secondary lens, which I have never used. Ill try and find it.. its been a while sense I got the camera and its in the packaging somewhere in the mess I call my closet! :)

Boss, is there a way to clean the sensor? or is that a Cannon service job?

Thanks for the heads up
Randy

I have cleaned sensors before and there are kits to do it. Use google. Having Canon do it is really expensive. The sensor can scratch easily. Try a puff of canned air first. Even canned air is hard on the sensor but I do it about once a month when I am changing lenses often. Often you see the dust or lint and use a Qtip to remove it. Blow the loose fibers out of the Q tip first. Don't "scrub" the sensor with the q tip, that will scratch it.

Thanks Boss. I should thought of that, My daughter told me GOOGLE knows everything. :) Ill do some searching and see what I find.

My Sony A55 has a feature that will shake the mirror to loosen dust. Check out the settings of your canon and see if there's something similar. I also have an air blower to get the dust out

OK, So Im a novice when it comes to cameras. Where is the sensor? so I can try and blow the dust off.. Thanks Mike Ill read and see if there is a feature on the Canon.

Randy

Randy, when you remove the lens the sensor is straight back inside the camera body BUT its behind a mirror. The mirror reflects the light coming in through the lens up to the view finder. When you press the shutter button the curtains open and the mirror pivots out of the way exposing the lens to light coming in. There are a lot of tutorials and videos on your tube for cleaning. Ive been lucky and have always been able to get dust out with a little air. Another alternative, if your editing software is capable, is to fix the black spots in the software with cloning tools etc..

I'm no expert, but check the rear lens element (the glass on the inside of the lens) for dust. Just a thought ...Teddy

The spots are sensor dust marks...any dust on the glass elements will only blur the image to an almost neglible degree...

Randy,

Check with one of your local photographers and ask him where he send his cameras to have them cleaned and serviced. When I had my studio I had a local guy who checked my stuff out. I also carried a squeeze bulb blower in my bag to gently move a little air around the the lens cavity. In most cases that did the trick. Canon on the 40d and newer models has built in an integrated cleaning system. I still send my personal cameras out about every 18 months to be serviced.

Back