Knives #2 and #3

SYD32

I finally completed #2 and #3.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Both are hollow ground from ATS-34 5/32 stock. Heat treating was done by Texas Knife Makers. The first one has a nickel silver guard with a nickel silver and red fiber spacer. The spine of the handle has some rough looking file work. The wood is desert iron wood.

The second knife has a nickel silver bolster with red fiber spacer and some more rough looking file work on the spine of the blade. I thought the wood i grabbed was desert ironwood but it is not. I bought some assorted wood at a gun show and this is some of it. It finished to a high gloss by sanding to 1200 grit and buffing with white compound. If you know what this wood is please let me know.

Now I need to read some of the tutorials on taking photos.....

Thanks!

guard1.jpgbolster99.jpgguard2.jpgbolster999.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice.

Did you apprentice at someones knife shop or learn on your own?

It may be crotch walnut.

Fred

I have assembled about a dozen kit knives and decided to take the plunge into grinding my own blades. I spent one day with a very generous knife maker in AZ and got a quick lesson on hollow grinding. There are a lot of imperfections on each knife, but I learn from each error and move on. I will credit this forum with providing me an endless supply of answers and information. It never fails, when I have a question, someone has already asked and answered it on this forum.

Nice work, sir. By the way, I was told a long time ago that if you want to etch your logo on your knives and sell them that it is a good idea to use your logo name on the forum. It helps people find you if you make a knife they like and want to buy. Just my 2 cents worth - either way you are making some fine looking knives.

Thanks for input! Rock Cowles created the avatar and designed a maker's mark for me. I just hadn't taken the time to update my profile. As far as etching the maker's mark on my blades, I ordered personalizer plus and it won't be here for a few weeks.

Back