My first paracord survival knife

Lerch

Made this one for a cousin of mine, he helped me come up the design a little bit. He's a USMC Iraq vet and wanted a blaze orange grip and wrap along with a mirror finish that could reflect if he needed to signal someone. Not that i expect him to get lost hunting any time soon, but his sense of direction is questionable :)

5/32" 440C steel
Hollow ground, blade mirror finish, everything else sandblasted
G10 orange handles
Blaze orange Para wrap, a little over 20ft
Heat Treated, cryo, and double temper

pics

without wrap
284875_228566343853875_212765782100598_631916_521615_n.jpg

with wrap
226053_204221012965863_100001338979988_542431_7907657_n.jpg

let me know what ya think, this is my 6th knife so i am looking for criticism on where i need to improve

thanks
steve

I cannot offer much in the way of critique toward your knife, but being a knot fanatic let me suggest a decorative knot to tie it all together. Unless of course, you'd like to keep the paracord readily accessible. If that isn't the case, I'd go with a St. Mary's Hitching knot to keep things a bit more aesthetic and adding some grip. Other than that, great work.

Regards,
Mike

i agree with the above. to me, the knife looks great, but the handle could use some improvement. straighter/more uniformed and as mentioned, maybe some type of decorative knotting or binding instead of just straight wraps around the handle. i'm not well versed in this so i can't offer any insight, but maybe check out the paracord survival bracelets. i believe it's called a snake hitch or something to that effect.

Here is an example that I tied up a few minutes ago. There is a bit of play between the turns due to the rigidity of the 550 cord that was used. The knot used are the Turk's Head Knot and the binding is used is a single St. Mary's Hitch. The Hitch can be done in double and multi-colored. Let me know if you need any help.

Back