Useless Spear Reborn

Church & Son

This one started as a single sided spear. Yea, I know, WHY? A fellow wanted it because of legalities in the state he resides in. So I made it and he was a no-show when done. And I hated it and vowed never to make anything else I didn’t like. BUT, I liked the sheath, the pocket in front was for a frog gig, so I tossed the spear on my table and looked at it a while. The more I looked, the more I thought of old Hudson Bay Roach Bellies. I have an original and it’s like a steak knife with attitude. And I’ve yet to see one with a socket handle. So I threw that useless spear back in the forge and this is what I ended up with;

soccombo1.jpg

But I had that frog gig pocket and I love stubby skinners and so I made a socket handled skinner to fit the sheath.

soccombo2.jpg

Both are from a horse drawn turning plow. Iron was heat and beat on charcoal, quenched in brine. All hammer and file work. Handles are wrapped with shellacked hemp twine. Sheath is from vinageroon dyed veg-tanned scraps and the tie on rings are wrought iron nails. Also has a belt loop.

soccombo3.jpg
soccombo4.jpg

Roach Belly is 11.5″ overall with 6″ sharp
Stubby is 5.5″ with 2.75″ sharp
Scattergun is a LeFever, 1943 20 gauge S/S

soccombo5.jpg

I like the way this set turned out. Maybe we should made the sheaths first!......Randy

AAAHHH....email sent.

I liked it before but now I love it.

Perfect pair....Momma and her fat baby.

Thanks Brother, I hated it before But I loved the sheath. That fat baby skinner is wicked. First one I've done with a socket....Randy

Nice Set Randy, Look's like they'd be real handy in the Wood's, I like the Socket Handle's cuz you can still use these as Spear's or add short handle's to aid In Chopping ! Thank's for sharing the picture's,

Hey Randy,
I don't think the spear was useless at all. Look at the thinking it created. These two are begging to get used and I am sure they will. Wade

Different prospective Wade. I think I'll see what else I've got that I don't like. Thanks for the kind words.
Thanks Kicking Bird--Hunter-Trader-Trapper "Buckskinner" You sound like a very interesting person.....Randy

Back