New/Old Warhawk

Church & Son

One of mine that stayed around too long, so I started throwing it and I’m not very good but I love to do it. The haft was scratched and banged up pretty bad so a remodel was in order. Rawhide scrapes, some braintan fringe and some of the antique snuff lids . Scrapping, homebrew dye, dirt, grease and shellac for the finish. I refiled the edge somewhat with a more pleasing profile and shortened and refined the spike. Iron is from 100 yr. old plow and the haft is oak.
I don't say this enough, thanks to John Cohea for resurrecting this form of Celt tomahawk for my thievery.....Randy

rehawk1.jpg
rehawk2.jpg
rehawk3.jpg
rehawk4.jpg

And a shot with some friends.....

rehawh5.jpg

Last edited:
Randy,
The more I see your creations the more I like them. They have an authenticity to them and they take me back to days of yesteryear. Nice!!!! Wade

that is a really cool piece. I like the way the parts all fit, and the decor/adornment seems just right. sometimes, people just seem to stick random stuff on those that doesn't look right.

I do have a historical question - were there many axes/hawks like that used in fighting between the 1600's and 1900's? I don't know anything about styles of manufacture, so I thought I would ask the relative ratio of the blade through the handle versus the blade wrapped around the handle type of hand axe / weapon.

also, if you don't mind sharing, what different mechanisms are holding the blade into the handle (rawhide, pins, shaping... what else is there that I am missing?).

lovely looking work.

Kevin

Thanks Patrick

Thanks Wade, an honor to get kind words from such a talented individual

Hey Kevin, Thanks, I've been watching your offerings since the Paleo days. Mighty impressive work on those swords.
As far as I can find, there is not any documented threw the haft "hawks except for the early Celts and these were simply iron stuck threw a stick. It should have been the natural progression from stone axes to bronze or steel. Here's a Celt axe.
celttomahawk.jpg
The wrap and weld kind were plentiful all the way from the late 1600's to early 1900 for trade in America. This period facinates me, there had to be local blacksmith made axes and 'hawks from then but not documented, probably used up and made into something else. Big time trade from Europe, this is from the French ship LeBelle, shipwrecked in the Gulf, 1687.
art-axe-barrelbelle.jpg

As far as the mounting, the iron is held in place with steel pins threw the haft, pine pitch glue and the rawhide itself would do a good job. It shrinks as it drys and the stone axes have proved the system works. They survive my throwing techniques, which leaves much to be desired. I thieved the idea from John Cohea, his are beautiful and work, mine just work.....Randy

Very Nice! Me like a lot. I realy like those kind of hawks, and realy nice leather work.

Seved

Back