Files and Taps???

SYD32

I am going to make a hidden tang knife and will use nickel silver for the pommel. I plan to thread the pommel and need to purchase a tap. My question is which do I need, a taper tap, plug tap or bottoming tap? I have never used a tap before so I don't know which would best be suited for my need.

In building my hidden tang knife I am going to cut nickel silver bar stock and form a guard. My intent is to drill several holes and then file them into a slot. I am looking for 1 or 2 files that i can use to get this done. Looking through catalogs I have found mill files, flat files, magicut files and pillar files.

Again, thanks in advance for any suggestions.

If it is a blind hole you will probably need all three. The taper tap is for starting the threads and the bottoming tap is for tapping the last few threads in the bottom of the hole. The plug tap can be used with out the taper but it is about as cheap to order a set of all three.

Joe

don't forget to get the right size drill bit for your tap. for a 1/4 x20 hole you will need to use a #7 drill bit whitch is .2010 dai. for a 1/4 x28 hole you will need a#3 drill bit. witch is .2130 dai. when you tap a hole the drill bit is just a little bit smaller than the bolt size.this lets you cut the thread into the sides of the hole. get your self a good chart that shows the tap and drill sizes. files you will want to get a set of what they call "swiss files" they are small and come in a set of several differant shapes. amen i think that's enouph of a surmon. good luck
gary

Last edited:
Back