Finishing up stabilized wood in an oven?

Tom Militano

KNIFE MAKER
I stabilize my own wood in Acryloid (Paraloid) B72, in acetone, with good results. I pull a vacuum, bleed off the air coming out of the wood, and when the stuff quits bubbling I let it sit under a vacuum for three or four days. A friend told me he wraps the freshly stabilized wood in aluminum foil and puts it in an old toaster oven at 120 degrees to speed up the hardening process. I usually let mine sit for a good while before I use it. Has anyone tried the toaster oven and how safe is it heating those chemicals up in a toaster over. Inquiring minds want to know! Mainly I don't want to start a fire and burn my shop down. Any input anyone? Thanks

Last edited:
The oven can get to and maintain a 120 degrees but the elements are full on to get there and maintain that temp. If the wood is very close to the elements, the surface area next to the elements are going to get quite a bit hotter than 120 degrees from the radiant heat. I would do it in a place where if a fire did start, it wouldn't do a lot of damage.

Thanks for the reply. I think I'll just let it dry in my usual way. I'm not comfortable trying that and I don't want to ruin the wood.

I used to use a toaster oven as well. The chemical I use needs to be heated to 205 deg for the catalyst to kick in and harden. I now use a used kitchen oven only because I am doing much bigger batches. Yes it can start a fire if you are not careful.

Jim

Back