Knife made for my wife

rcknives

Just completed a knife for my wife made from D2 with filework and fossil coral scales with stainless bolsters and pins. Let me know what you guys think.

Rob

P7283567.jpg P7283588.jpg

That's beautiful... What a lucky gal!

What's the difference between using D2 and say something like O1 ?

That filework is great...

Thanks for the compliment and to answer your question well D2 is much harder than O-1 due to its higher alloy content which also makes it harder to bring an edge once lost but it also holds one longer than O-1. There are pros and cons to using either steels but it just depends on what the knife is going to used for. Hope that was helpful.

Rob

Very pretty, nicely done!

Thanks Rob. It helps getting compliments from more experienced makers out there but please feel free to critique any bad flaws you guys see in my work. It will only make me that much better
Thanks,
Rob

Very nice man. I've entertained the idea of making my wife one, but I never have done it because I don't think she would have any use for it other than to say wow, that's pretty..:)

Looks great, How did you like the fossil coral? how did it work/sand? etc.. I have a job coming up where my customer sent me a set from Charles to use on a folder and Im just trying to get a idea of what to expect.

Its a KNIFE LIFE!
Randy

Looks great, How did you like the fossil coral? how did it work/sand? etc.. I have a job coming up where my customer sent me a set from Charles to use on a folder and Im just trying to get a idea of what to expect.

Its a KNIFE LIFE!
Randy

Randy,

It was actually very easy to work with. It is however very brittle but drills and sands very easy. The pores do present a problem if you desire a glass finish but I opted to leave them they way they are to give it somehwhat of a contrast and my wife loved it.

Rob

Rob, shes a lucky lady, thats a really nice looking knife!! Thanks for the info on the coral. .
Randy

No problem Randy. Im sure that my advise doesn't compare to your knowledge about knives and I feel honored that you asked but thats what I love about this site is that we can all share what we know.

Back