Satin finish on G10 ?

Lerch

Hi all

i have been working pretty much only with G10 so far, about 5 knives, and after grinding and texturing with my grinder i have been finishing them on a buffer. I have used blue rouge, white rouge, and pink scratchless as well. All of these rouges I believe are designed for polishing metal in the last stages.

I am wanting to leave more of a satin finish on the handles, no gloss but still have the smooth buffed look. Any recomendation? so far only the middle knife below has finished somewhat like i am looking for. but even it still had a somewhat reflective gloss to it.
267451_218780158165827_212765782100598_600423_1346244_n.jpg

The orange knife actually finished dirty looking but i have solved some of that issue by going to a smaller wheel (6") and not over loading the wheel with compound.

should i use a different rouge?

thanks
steve

Hi Steve,
Pretty cool looking handles! Anytime you buff with those finishing compounds you will bring up a shine. If you must buff, there is a greaseless compound, also called satin compound. It comes in different grits, from around 120 grit to 500 or 600 grit. It is more aggressive and designed to put a satin finish on metal. Keep this stuff in the fridge, makes it last longer. I would start off around a 400 grit, that would give a nice soft finish with no glare. Hope this helps, It's just my two cents. Hopefully other folks will shed some light on the subject too! Oh yea, sand blasting or bead blasting would work too, if you have the equipment !
Clint
P.S. Tip for the day, WD-40 works great for removing grease based compounds from handles!

Last edited:
With the deep jigging you are doing, bead blasting would be the easyest way to get a satin finish. A harbor Freight blast cabinet dosent cost very much and works well for this type of work.

What girt/medium do you guys like for blasting G10? Will the same grit or type put a reaonably similar finish on the blade as well, if you do it all at one time?

thanks, i hadnt thought of blasting it, i will try that, i have been wanting to get a blasting cabinet and some 70-120 mesh material glass beads for satin finishing steel but i am not sure how much of a investment it would be.

i will give that a try, thanks

I have one of those portable blasters that work OK for blasting small projects in the back yard, I buy the cheap silica sand from the lumber yard, I think it's about 80 grit and let it fly. "do not try to recover the medium" Of coarse if you do not have a compressor things could get pricey in a hurry!
Clint

I tried the sand blaster today, worked great, really brought out the grain and laminate of the G10, here are some pics of the coyote brown when i was done, thanks guys!!

photo46.jpg

photo45.jpg

Back