disc sander with my belt grinder

SHOKR

i'm getting everything together to set up my workshop (took me long enough)

i have a KMG , but i'm thinking of having disc grinder too, my options are, attach the disc to my grinder's drive wheel http://goo.gl/photos/FRM4c6FOKU, or get another separate motor.
(any suggestions which would be better?)

also i have an inverter 1.5kw, 3phase and 2HP, which will be connecting to the KMG and the other motor if i get it
so here are my questions:
  1. would i need variable speed disc grinder or fixed would do? what would be the range of speeds i need and the power of motor?
  2. how do i fix the disc to my KMG grinder's drive wheel?
  3. if i get another motor for the disc grinder but connect both to the inverter, would they have tyo be the same power? or just not pass the inverter's?

lots of questions i know :) but any help would be great

thanks

Don't know the answer for questions 1 & 3. As for question 2, I've been thinking of replacing. My drive shaft on my KMG in order to have room to attach a disk direct to the drive shaft. This would allow me to only need one motor and one VFD to accomplish two tasks. Then all I would need to do is configure an adjustable work rest to mount to the base plate if my KMG.

Well, you probably can extend the shaft on your KMG except that KMG uses a 3/4" shaft, I think. Most disk grinders use 5/8", I think.
If you are going to use another motor 56C motors have 5/8" shafts.
It would probably be best to have the same size motors if you are going to run both off the same VFD. I asked the KB tech support guy about that and he said that he didn't know but that you would be supplying amps for a 2 hp motor to a 1 hp motor, or what ever size motor you have. I think that there is a reason why they have different jumpers for different hp motors.
If you do run 2 motors off one VFD you need to be able to disconnect one so that you could only have one on at a time. I have checked into switches and so far have found them to be about $75.00 or more. I have suggested that people that want to do this, get a 3 phase plug to put on the VFD out cable and and 3 phase outlets for each of the motors. Always turn the VFD off before unplugging and plugging in a motor. Ed Caffery may be able to give us some information on the switches.

For knife making I think that you would be much happier with a variable speed disk grinder, just like on your belt grinder.

Since I started selling Rod Nielsen's Interchangeable Disk System I have started doing all of my knife grinding on the disk grinder. I can't believe how much my grinds have improved.

many thanks Wayne! i don't know much about VFDs and Motors really so will discuss it with guy supplying me with them, he will also help me a bit with the connections and set up

Back