How to make thumb serrations/grips ?

Lerch

Hi all

I am wanting to start adding thumb serrations to my knives. I did one once before with a drill press and a small tungsten carbide bit that was intended for a dremel tool, it was a pain!!

I dont have a mill so i was wondering if any one had any ideas on how to make them. I want them to ideally be about a 1/8" deep and about four or five rounded serrations spread over a 1" or a little more area.

thanks
steve

I make them on a drill press and use a regular drill bit. when I draw my pattern on the steel I drill holes along the spine were I want them. as I profile the knife I grind away the top half of the holes leaving the bottom half for my thumb serrations. just mark your holes and use a punch were you want to drill the holes so that your bit does not wonder before it starts to cut. Its pretty easy I have not had issues doing it this way. another option would be to use a checkering file but I don't know that you would be able to make the serrations the size your talking about.

You can also get a small round jewelers file to cut the grooves before hardening. I would not do this with a three square file as the sharp inside angles could form a stress riser. You could try a round diamond file after hardening and tempering but I think that you'd like it even less than using a burr in the drill press.

Doug

I use a carbide grit rod saw and cut them after HT. The rod saw is availible from home improvement stores and is for cutting ceramic tile and such. It fits in a hacksaw frame and works well on hardened steel but leaves a coarse finish in the cut which I clean up with a small diamond file.

Justin, how big are the serrations made by a rod saw? Is that what you used for the knife on your home page? I was about to just hacksaw some square serrations when I read your post.

Steve, I did some big ones using a rounded wheel on a dremel preHT on 1080, very simple process. They were not perfectly round as you have to guide the cutting edge at a slight arc but it was a neat effect.

Personally, I just use a 20 TPI checkering file to cut my "jimping". It's not large or rounded serrations that you're looking for, but it's very effective.

Back