Jim Crowell Cutting Demo

murphda2

Super Moderator and KD Blade Show Boss
Next weekend is the AG Russell Knife Event in Rogers, Ar. For those of you who have not visited the shown in the past, I highly encourage it.

As part of this year's festivities, Jim Crowell will be conducting a cutting demo on Saturday at 1 pm. I'm sure that Jim will find a way to dazzle and amaze the crowd with his knowledge, cutting skill, and general great sense of humor (I hope I'm not the butt of too many jokes). For this demo, AG sent Jim one of the Browning produced "Crowell/Barker Competition" knives for him to trick out and touch up.

While visiting Jim's shop yesterday, Mike ("Diamond G Knives") and I had the opportunity to watch (Mike got to help out a bit) Jim finish up this piece for the demo. The minor modifications Jim did to the piece turned out great (though he did manage to cut himself during the sharpening process).

Here are a couple of pics of the modified factory knife as well as a couple of pieces that Jim will have at the show. Photo 1 shows the modified factory knife and the second photo shows a couple of Jim's customs.

80c1a798.jpg

Here are the customs. The one on top is a knife that Jim made for a soldier over at Ft. Campbell, Ky it has a blade of differentially heat treated 1095 and black linen Micarta handle scales. The smaller piece is a copy of Jim's Arkansas Park Ranger knife (minus the Park Ranger logo and serial number). It has a blade of CPM 154 CM, guard of 416 stailess, and linen Micarta handle. The sheath for each is constructed of 0.08 Kydex with large Tek-Lok.

85548c5e.jpg

Last edited:
I've seen some of Mr. Crowell's vids and own one of the 1st-gen Browning knives. Top notch on both counts, wish I could be there!

The mod Jim made was to remove the standard micart handle and replace it with the "Original" Horse Stall Mat that a lot of the cutting compitition guys favor. And I agree with Murph that I feel confidant Jim will put on an impressive as well as informative cutting demo. Im thinking somthing between Gallager and Rodney Carrington ;). Hope to see you Dogs there!

God Bless
Mike

Last edited:
I saw Jim at a Blacksmithing seminar one time he is a character for sure super nice guy. Makes forging look easy, The man can swing a hammer for sure

Ok, so I may know who is taking this particular knife home.........just maybe..... :D

Back