Second knife finished, with pictures.

PetrifiedWood

Well the weekend rolled around again and I got some time to complete another knife.

Specs are:

1/8" O1
3 - 5/8" blade
8 - 1/2" overall length
full height convex grind
brass pins and lanyard tube
white vulcanized liners
cocobolo dymondwood scales

I wanted to make a woodlore-ish knife this time, but with a design that would fit entirely on a 1" wide piece of steel stock. I have the stereotypical new knife maker's uneven, letter stamped maker's mark. :what!::biggrin:

I am pleased with how this one turned out. I don't think it's as attractive as my first knife, and that's probably a combination of the profile, and the monochrome handle material. Still, I'm happier with it than I expected to be.

If all goes well I'll be making a sheath for this one soon, and then moving on to yet another design.

IMG_0540.jpg

IMG_0541.jpg

IMG_0542.jpg

IMG_0543.jpg

IMG_0544.jpg

IMG_0545.jpg

IMG_0547.jpg

IMG_0548.jpg

IMG_0549.jpg

IMG_0546.jpg

That looks like a very nice spear point. I actually like the cocobolo diamond wood handle. I've been looking at it in the Jantz catalog and was wondering how it would look on a knife. I think it looks rather good. It's hard to stamp evenly with letter stamps. I got a tang stamp cut with my initial and last name on it but I have a hard time with grinding the stamp out. I may see about getting some stincels made some how and try a cheap electric etcher I got off Ebay a while back.

Doug

That looks like a very nice spear point. I actually like the cocobolo diamond wood handle. I've been looking at it in the Jantz catalog and was wondering how it would look on a knife. I think it looks rather good. It's hard to stamp evenly with letter stamps. I got a tang stamp cut with my initial and last name on it but I have a hard time with grinding the stamp out. I may see about getting some stincels made some how and try a cheap electric etcher I got off Ebay a while back.

Doug

I hope to get an electric etch machine. The thing that I don't like about them is you are either dependent on someone else to make your stencils, or you have to make a temporary darkroom in your house to make your own. As I understand it there are places that do a great job of making stencils for $30, and they are supposed to last for many, many etchings.

But I think a passable etch machine could be made from a car battery charger. You'd need to install a switch to bypass the bridge rectifier so you could do both marking and etching, and perhaps add a way to control voltage to fine tune it.

I went to a sign shop and had them make some stencils for me out of vinyl sign material. They stick to the blade with adhesive. They only last for one blade but you can etch as deep as you want. I guess you could reuse them if they didn't have the adhesive. When you pull the stencil loose it deforms the stencil. Hope this gives you another option.

Just wanted to update this thread with some sheath pictures. I'm really happy with the way the sheath turned out.

IMG_0558.jpg

IMG_0559.jpg

IMG_0560.jpg

IMG_0561.jpg

IMG_0563.jpg

IMG_0562.jpg

Back