Etching solution and felt cleaning

JimmyB

Hi all and thank you for your help so far.
Was on my 4th knife and tried to electro etch initials through a stencil and it just didn't want to do right. It etched into the metal but it would not color it. I switched the clips that came with the set up that is supposed to convert from AC to DC and vice versa but to no avail.
I'm thinking my applicator pad is dirty. I took it off and washed it under with water and all the black stuff washed right out. They don't tell you any of this stuff in the kit, if that is the problem.
So, question 1, are you supposed to clean and or change the felt on the applicator every so often?
Question 2, the electrolyte that comes with the kit. What is this exactly? I always thought electrolyte was battery acid. If it is why can't I just buy some battery acid from Wally World and use it?
If it's not battery acid, is it something I can make myself instead of having to purchase this online?

Thanks in advance!

Number one, yes. Clean it once in a while.
Number two, not battery acid. I've had decent luck with saltwater. Get some water hot (maybe 1 cup?) and keep dissolving salt in it until it won't take any more salt. Then add 1 tablespoon of vinegar. That's it.

Not Sure if this info will help or not, but the DC etch will give you a deep etch and the AC etch will give you the black mark or surface etch. They do sell different etching solutions for different metals, high carbon steels, stainless, ect....... Just have to experiment on heat treated scrap steel to see different results.
Take care,
Clint

Back