Damascus Bird & Trout

BRad704

I has just about finished this one, but I have some weird discoloration around the tip and around the ricasso.

My etching method was to etch in PCB etchant from Radio Shack, then pull it out and let it hang for about 5 minutes to set, then rinse in warm water and spray with Windex, rinse again and then dry with hair dryer. After it was dry, I coated with Barricade and let that sit for an hour or so, then wiped with my Barricade-laden cloth on my gun bench.

What did I do wrong to get the discoloration?

11%252520-%2525201.jpg

11%252520-%2525202.jpg

11%252520-%2525204.jpg

Now for the pic i hate... Did I not get all the acid out of there and it kept etching/staining?
2011-07-19%25252016.00.40.jpg

Brad,
If you etched it with the guard on, I would say there is FC seeping out to make that stain.
When I pull anything out of the etch I soak it in Windex quickly and completely to stop the process.
Try to blow out that joint with compressed air, clean up the stain with 800 paper and re-etch.

On another note, is there some delamination on that blade?
The pic looks like there is a void in that billet.
But, hey, I could be wrong.

Steve

:( Boo... I don't wanna have to re-etch, but I know to do it right, it's gonna have to be done... Do you soak in Windex as soon as you take it out of the FC?

I guess the process should be
Etch
soak in Windex
Rinse in warm water
dry with hair dryer
let sit for a few minutes
spray with Barricade or WD40

I DO think there is a small spot that is not fully welded, probably from getting too close to the edge of a raw billet...

Just curious, why windex? I usually dip in water mixed with baking soda to neutralize the acid. Then dry, then wd40.
And Ive gone through a lot of steel wool trying to get an etch just right - great job by the way on the knife as a whole! When you get it where you want it it'll be a real beauty!

I go from windex to compressed air. Even a can of air from office supply, to wd40.
Ok, I have a 50 gallon compressor in the shop, I can do that. :)

I have been dipping it in undiluted PCB etchant... More is better right? Or would cutting it with water give better results?

Thanks for the help on this one...
Just curious, why windex? I usually dip in water mixed with baking soda to neutralize the acid. Then dry, then wd40.
And Ive gone through a lot of steel wool trying to get an etch just right - great job by the way on the knife as a whole! When you get it where you want it it'll be a real beauty!
the alabama damascus site said to neutralize in water with baking soda, OR Windex will work too... I think my problem was with not getting it all out of the small seam, and not really with my solution. Thanks for the good word... Once I get it done, it is going to a friend's dad as a birthday present.

Back