The Loper

Wade Hougham

I was given a drawing of a knife that was called a Loper. This is my rendition for the customer.
13 3/8" long with a 1/4" spine and a blade that is 8 1/8" from tip to guard. The steel is 1978 Dodge leaf spring the handle is Axis deer and the guard and butt cap are bronze. It is also a through tang.

I'm really a Ford man but I must say that's a really nice knife. The Axis and bronze really look nice together and like the blade lines.

I dont know what to say Wade...(not true, I've got a big mouth)...I like it. I havent seen anything you've made that I didnt.
This knife has a brutal toughness appeal yet it also appears to be a cleanly crafted work of art. Very nice.

Ausbrooks, Horace Dodge initially made the springs and other components for Henry Ford. I was using nothing but Ford leaf springs and one of my customers brought me some Dodge springs and a little history. Needless to say he is a Dodge man.
Lagrange, This was built for a customer who has purchased several knives from me. He wanted something he can use hard but at the same time show off. I am sure he is going to be happy with this one.
Thank you both for the comments. Wade

That is a simply beautiful knife. A no-frills get-the-job-done kinda knife. Very nice work.

Pat

Wade, thanks for the history lesson on the leaf springs. That's one of the things I like about knife making- the diversity of materials you can use and know about. That said, your knife may be a little hard on wrist during heavy use as everyone knows Dodges ride a little rough....:biggrin:

A Loper......You can lop off someones arm with that. Or.....lop me off a piece of that tree limb. Also you could lop off a chunk of meat from the roast. With this Loper, you would look good loping anything!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for taking the time to comment, they are appreciated.
Marvin, I didn't mention that the customer is a police officer and that this knife was pattern after one used by the Navy Seals (or so I was told) so you might be right about loping an arm or even worse.:what!:
Wade

I like it however I'm a GM man! I have had pretty good luck with truck springs for knives myself. I think the rough blade surface fits the handle and textured brass nicely.
Brad

Back