First knife and sheath completed, lots of pictures.

PetrifiedWood

I finally got "enough" tools and equipment together to complete a knife and sheath. So I finished one out.

Bear with me because I used some really tacky materials for this one! :biggrin:

So this is my very first knife built from the ground up using stock removal method. So, be gentle!

IMG_0437.jpg

IMG_0438.jpg

IMG_0439.jpg

IMG_0440.jpg

IMG_0441.jpg

IMG_0442.jpg

IMG_0443.jpg

IMG_0444.jpg

IMG_0446.jpg

IMG_0447.jpg

So the specs are:

1/8" A2
2 - 3/4" blade
7 - 9/16" OAL
full height convex grind (It was the easiest for me to do.)
brass pins and lanyard tube
white vulcanized liners
"cocobolo/black" dymondwood scales (I know, but I really like the way the stuff looks!) :5:

The sheath is made from 8-9oz. vegetable tanned tooling leather, with waxed poly thread and yellow dye.

Thanks for looking!

Last edited:
Nothing Tacky about that. Looks great. I like Dymondwood, it makes a great handle. Very well done.

I personally would like to see a little more of a ricasso, and I'd probalby have matched the sheath to one of the colors in the handle, but for a first, that's some outstanding work!

That dymondwood looks nice too...

Wow - awesome work! I like the dymondwood myself, and nice work on the sheath and lanyard too. Fit and finish are clean - make another! :biggrin:

Thanks for the compliments!

I actually intended to leave a little space between the plunge lines and the front of the scales, but I cut the scale material just big enough to fit the tang. Then after gluing the liner to the scales, I tried to trim the edges of the liner with scissors and that caused a tiny tear in the liner that made it impossible to position the scales where I wanted them while still excluding the torn section of liner from the handle.

I'm not sure if that makes any sense, but the good thing is I learned a few things to avoid for my next knife. I also had planned to use epoxy for the adhesive but went with cyanoacrylate because I was excited to see how it would look finished and didn't want to wait overnight for it to cure.

The funny thing is I bought the dymondwood knowing it's reputation, and in spite of having seen some garish pistol grips made from the stuff. I just saw it as a cheap material to practice with, but after seeing how it turned out I really like the way it looks, but it has also brought to my attention the need for some kind of dust collection for the shop. A day later and it still smells in there. I might have to look into a fancier respirator too while I'm at it.

My "dust collector" is a $20 shopvac that you set in a 5 gal paint bucket, and a 1qt oil funnel for a nozzle under the belt.

Very nice for a first effort!! I like the Dymondwood too.
I would probably also have dyed the sheath to a similar color to a tone in the handle, but very nice nonetheless.
It's time to make another one!!!

Does dymondwood have a bad rep around here? i always thought it looked pretty nice when using natural looking colors.

I actually used some for the first time on a recent knife I posted on the first page of this forum:

Custom Skinner: 1095/2 Tone Dymondwood

Check it out if you like.

honestly you have clean lines smoth finish ,& a will make knife good work beleve some of ore my first will not be posted

Looks good.Very clean,fit and finish look great.
As others have said"Go make another",and post pic.

God bless,Keith

Back