Ideas for portable band saw stand?

Pedro G.

I just bought a milwaukee 6230N portable bandsaw and I want to make a stand for it. I've tried a picket fence like structure but it didn't hold it tight enough.
I was thinking of making a mold of it and then creating a hard plastic base but that might not work and could be expensive.
One thing I don't want to do is damage the machine in any way as is drill holes in it and what not.
I've seen the swag of road model and pretty much all the commercial/ some home made ones but I just can't see how to reproduce it.

If you have any idea or pictures I would really appreciate it.

(I'm new to DIY building.)
thank you
-Pedro

I think you're trying too hard.
The only simpler thing than this is mounting it in your (future ?) bench vise.

I mounted the saw to an upright 2x4 for my shelves about chest high.
This strap is the only thing holding it up for the last 2 years.
Remove the handle screws(2) and mount the strap with the same 2 screws. Hold up saw and mount 2-3 screws into upright 2x4.
2011_0719saw0001.jpg

Make table to your specs. Turn on the saw and cut your slot. Turn the table around and slide it onto the blade and foot from behind.
2011_0719saw0002.jpg

Screw 2 self tapping screws right through the foot up into your new table from underneath. File off tips of self tapping screws if needed. You are done ! Elapsed time is about 20 minutes.
2011_0719saw0003.jpg

Click on pics a couple times for larger image.
You'll never make a knife if you overthink the tooling to get you there. Think simple.

Rudy

Last edited:
This helps a lot. I get what you mean here but there are reasons why I can't go simple. None that are in my control atleast. Those are personal. I have to make something that will keep it from moving what so ever unless I am going to take it out or something.
I don't think mine has those side handle screws.
I think this is overdoing it but it might work. I was thinking of take the styrofoam piece that came in the box with the perfect outline of the bottom of my machine and cast it in ceramic and then take that mold and cast it in hard plastic. That should be enough and I won't need to hold it anywhere because it will be a heavy structure.
I'm not sure if its a good idea, especially price wise but it's one of my ideas right now.

What are self taping screws?

You have a point there.
-Pedro

What are self taping screws?

-Pedro

Self-tapping screws are the type of screw that creates its own thread as you advance (turn) it.
For purposes with which we're familiar, they are mostly associated with sheet metal.
Take a look at nearly any household appliance. Washer, stove, microwave, etc. Take one of those screws out of a panel, and it will most likely have a tapered (sometimes pointed) end and possibly even variable threads.

Do a google search for your area to see if there is anyone close to you. I'm near Dallas and we have a few steel retailers off in the industrial areas.

I have, I live in north phoenix AZ and every place is 30 min-2 hours away and I have no way to buy in bulk. So i would be traveling almost daily if I could... I need something closer. I've tried googling junk yards scrap yards and metal suppliers but all are too far away..

Have you tried looking at machine shops in your area? Some are quite helpful, though you'll spend more than you would ordering online. The site I gave you will also cut pieces to order, you can send them your materials list and they will give you a quote.

Alright well thanks to everyone my imagination kicked up and I just gave it a go and I did it! :)
Here are some pictures of the stand. It's really ugly but it works!

IMAG0262.jpg

IMAG0263.jpg

IMAG0264.jpg

Tell me what I can do to it to make it better and I will try. Thank you!
P.s. What common store sells foot switches?

Back