Craftman 10" bandsaw? maybe?

Pedro G.

I want a bandsaw and I have a ok amount of funds for a mediocre bandsaw, It's not my top priority tool so I don't want to go on spending 500$ on one.
While I was at sears getting my sander fixed and what not I saw a craftman 10" bandsaw for about 150$, online I saw it was 200$.
It is a benchtop. 1/3 HP. Felt decently sturdy. I've seen reviews and it has mainly very good reviews for the price.

MAIN POINT!-
I found this same bandsaw on craigslist new for 100$ I offered 80$ and they agreed. They apparently bought it in a full package deal of different saws and they didn't need it. They opened the box, looked at it, and put it back in.

Do you think this saw is worth it? For cutting handle scales and mainly straight cuts through hard wood. I don't see too many curved cuts in my future :p

What do you think?

It might be good for recutting larger blocks and boards down to scales or handle blocks. If you are starting out with handle scales or handle size blocks you can probably get by fine with hand tools.

Doug

Do you think it's alright then?

I probably won't start out with scales very often. and when I'm there I use my sander or hand tools but To make the scales and make clean, perfectly fitting and straight cuts I think a bandsaw would make it a little easier and I have the money for this one.

DON'T BUY IT. I have one and there are several problems...

It's a royal pain to get it to track right, and get the blade under proper tension for anything resembling a precision cut. Forget re-sawing blocks into thinner pieces.

The stock blade is very coarse, not at all suitable for cutting thin or tough materials.

The stock blade is an odd size, and I haven't yet found a replacement for it in a decent tooth pattern for a reasonable cost.

Wanna buy mine? ;)

Last edited:
Hahaha! Is it that bad? I mean it doesn't look to be to bad and there's no way of tweaking it? I mean this as far as i've seen i'm not going to get any better bandsaws for this price. Especially new... If it's that bad what other brands or machines do you think would help under this price range?

I have an old benchtop sears/craftsman bandsaw that I use. It's not too bad. Good for cutting kydex and rough scales. I really need to get a wider blade for it as the thin one doesn't track that well. I don't think I'd try to "re-saw" scales from blocks with it.

For the Best bang for the buck, I would watch for Harbor Freight to have a sale on thier metal cutting bandsaw. They will routinely have a decent on-line special for $170-185. You can then print the page and take it to your local store and they will honor it. You can also print out thier 20% off coupon for an even better price. Then, you have a multi-purpose bandsaw that will cut just about anything and you ony have about $150 invested (plus tax).

The stock blade is an odd size, and I haven't yet found a replacement for it in a decent tooth pattern for a reasonable cost.

That was going to be my input too! The problem with any of the Sears/Craftsman bandsaws is blades....they are all an "odd" size, which means that unless you have your blades custom welded, the only choice you have are the cheesy, light weight blades sold at sears.

A few years ago I was walking through sears, and they had the 10" saws on sale....I jumped on it before thinking it through. Once I found someone to order custom welded blades from, the saw "works", just not very well. I don't care what you do to it, you simply cannot cut a straight kerf... and don't let the 10" thing fool you....the throat is 4 1/2" MAX. The saw is still here in the shop, only because I'm too embarrassed to get rid of it. About all I can say about it is, it cuts. Not true, not straight, and not well, but it does cut.

Believe it or not James, the HF bi-metal blades aren't half bad. I know of at least one maker who uses them regularly with absolutely no problems. He even uses them for cutting Ti with no issues. I've had one of them on my saw for the past 6 months or so (of course, I've only cut out half a dozen blades or so thus far with it.

I mean that, Can you make it vertical and add a table to make it work like a vertical? Because using it as it appears it looks like a complex cut-off saw. If you made it vertical and added a table would it be possible?
Also with its slow RPM would it work for resawing wood cleanly?

-Pedro

How about this bandsaw I found on craigslist?

Reliant 14-inch Bandsaw & Dovetail Fixture - $150 (Scottsdale, AZ)

I could drop it down a little more to my range. It is in very good shape as I see in the pictures

Here's the link if it works: http://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/tls/2487318750.html

As far as i've heard it only a bit better than HF but for the price... I mean unless the Metal cutting bandsaw is a better deal and yes I probably will only be resawing. Very rarely will I need to curve.

Yes, it can be used in the vertical position. It even comes with an attachable table (you'd probably want to make a better one though). You can also adjust the speed using the step pullies that are provided.

I have that same saw,I only use it for wood,and I have also cut lots of titanium liners
with no problems.I have used it for 3 years.You will have to get a new blade,I have always
gotten my blades made right here in town.The place sold their equiptment,I hope I can
still get the new place to make them.
I say for the money,it has its place.

God bless,Keith

Back