Aocalypse Chopper # 3 “Judgement Day”

Church & Son

My Dad had a WWII USMC Bolo Knife that he brought back from Korea. Heavy and round ended, as kids we killed hundreds of Poison Oak vines, batoned firewood for campfires, it accompanied us every fishing trip and we genuinely abused it for years. The only problem was the handle which ended up wrapped with leather, glue and electrical tape. It needed an unbreakable socket handle to stand up to the young demons that tortured it, but I always loved the blade style.
This is my interpretation of what could be done with minimum tools and materials readily available after the Apocalypse, I call this one “Judgement Day”

Steel from Diamond Rio truck leaf spring, forged in a homemade charcoal forge
Hot cut and filed. No electricity used. Quenched in brine water and tempered on the forge.
Socket handled with shellacked leather thong wrapping and a little braided lanyard.
17″ overall w/ 11″ sharpened
Sheath is from a leather clothes bag, Hardened with hot water and sunshine, stitched with linen and the “Mexican” style belt hanger is from an old horse harness w/ an antler button. All finished with shellac.
I batoned this one threw a stick of firewood just for old times sake…..Randy

judge1.jpg

judge2.jpg

judge3.jpg

judge4.jpg

judge5.jpg

Last edited:
Hey Randy,
Another nice set. This one certainly could pass JUDGEMENT on anything that needs it. I always look forward to your next post. Wade

I have been waiting to see this one......Great looking piece. I like the simple, clean lines of the sheath and the blade shape. Hate to see this series end. Better start working on number 4?........

I bet number one is gunna be worth a fortune in a few years.

Last edited:
Thanks Wade, Gary and Grafton. This one just begs to chop, so I obliged it Friday afternoon and split some poplar for the charcoal pile. And Grafton, the boot sheath is still my favorite. # 4 is already started and involves a piece of bulldozer blade from a Va. swamp dweller......Randy

Just noticed the thread line, Apocalypse is misspelled so Aocalypse is now a word cause I read it on the internet.

Last edited:
Thanks Gary, yes it will hang either side. I use one hand about as well as the other and neither very well.....Randy

Back