Knifemakers Society?

Rob Nelson

Aloha,

I'm a new guy and I've figured out that the appelation "bladesmith" is reserved for those who forge their knives, and the American Bladesmith Society and their Apprentice, Journeyman, Master progrom are for those who forge.

"Knifemaker" is an appelation that would include those who engage in stock removal as well. So is there a society of those who practice stock removal only?

Or does this simply indicate that the progression of most knife makers is to eventually forge?

Thanks for the insight!

So is there a society of those who practice stock removal only?

I don't know. The Knifemaker's Guild embraces both forgers and stock removers, but if I had to hazard a guess I would say most members are stock removal guys. Perhaps Mike Carter will comment, he's a long-time member and works a good deal with promoting the Guild. Cool guy, too :)

PS Chaps, I haven't forgotten about that thing we talked about. I'll be getting back to you on that soon.

Hey Rob! I am a member of the ABS. But the way I see it is that we are all knifemakers with no difference in stock removal and forging. You will have those who say , This is better than that. But I dont buy into that way of thinking. When I forge a blade, I then remove stock from it. People ask me if I forge or do stock removal, I say I make knives!
GOD BLESS!!!
Michael

Oh, I wasn't trying to reenact the civil war with my question ... I understand that ABS includes folks who use all methods in making knives. Just that forging is a requirement to progress formally through the process. I'm also not really trying to get out of forging, but recognizing that it may be a little while before that's feasible for me.

.....Or does this simply indicate that the progression of most knife makers is to eventually forge?....

I think forging is just a preference, and probably in the minority. I'd bet the vast majority of custom knives are stock removal with both content makers and customers. Try forging if you'd like but don't feel shortchanged if you prefer stock removal. Then again, don't be surprised if you give forging a try and get hooked.

Take care, Craig

I think forging is just a preference, and probably in the minority. I'd bet the vast majority of custom knives are stock removal with both content makers and customers. Try forging if you'd like but don't feel shortchanged if you prefer stock removal. Then again, don't be surprised if you give forging a try and get hooked.

Take care, Craig

Craig, where are you in aiea? I'm just down the hill in Pearl City!

I work right down on Kam hwy. overlooking Pearl Harbor.

Thank You for your service, Craig

I'm an ABS MS and do a great deal of stock removal. I like both methods and usually use both methods on a knife. I did stock removal for many years before joining the ABS.

Back