should I do edge quench or full quench?

Cameron Wilcox

I just started making knives and have an order from my mother to make her husband a knife for a Christmas gift, as far as details she just said to go by what I would want for a user that can be shown off some. I am looking for some suggestions as to if I should do an edge quench for a hamon or full quench. (I am sending it off for heat treat but for a little extra I can get an edge quench.)

I am not starting the knife I am selling yet but I am going to play that by feel and when I think I can do it I will start.

The answer to the question is going to be totally up to you. My first questions are....what steel type are you using for this blade, and if your sending it off to a commercial heat treater, are you SURE they understand what an edge quench is? I ask the latter because I am unaware of any commercial heat treater who will offer to do any differential heat treating.

There are also major differences in how a full quench, versus a differentially heat treated blade is finished...meaning that if you are not familiar with how to finish a differentially heat treated blade to "bring out" the "hamon", it can be very frustrating.
10xx steels, 5160, 52100, and several others offer good results with differential heat treating. If you us O1 or some other "tool steels" or stainless, differential heat treating is problematic as best.

Lots of things to consider other than just saying "I want it differentially heat treated"....and you have to make sure that everything allows for/integrates with differential heat treating.

I figure might as well take every opportunity to try something new, so try edge quench, and etch and polish so when he shows folks the knife they can see the hamon. Very few folks seem to know what that is outside of the knife community, and it leaves an impression. And may generate some orders!

Michael did an edge quench for me - great guy, great work! Go for it!

He'll tell you his method for etching and bringing out the hamon as well.

Back