New Guy needing some help

Rick Weaver

Guys I have been lurking for a bit trying to learn as much as possible and it has been helpful. Over the July 4th holidays I had an opportunity to complete the metal work on blade number 3, 4, and 5.

Numbers 3 and 5 were blades I ground out of 440C. Number 4 was one I ground out of 1080.

My problems ocurred with the 440C. My first knife blade was ground from 440C and heat treated using steel foil and a postage stamp size piece of paper inside the foil to help prevent scale. As far as I know I did the heat treating on blades 3 and 5 just like my first blade but it did not turn out the same. The first blade I did. didn't have any heat scale or stains on it and was very easy to clean up.

The blades I did this weekend have a lot of stain on them and I am baffled. First the staln is obviously a form of scale or some such and darn near impossible to get off without regrinding. I was really disappointed.

Anybody know or have a suspicion as to what I did wrong? My guess is that somehow my wrapping the blade in the heat treating foil was improper somehow or I did not use enough paper to utilize all the oxygen within the foil.

As these were my third and fifth blades it is obivious that I am green as a gourd at this. Hope you guys can get me on the straight path again.

I am a good student and take direction well. So my wife of nearly 40 years tells me. Thanks in advance.

Rick

My guess is you either had a pin hole or 2 in your foil or your piece of paper was too big. I don't use any paper at all. I clean my blades with alcohol wrap them, fold the edge once and flatten it out with a rubber hammer, fold again, and rubber hammer it again. My blades come out clean as a whistle. I do have some of the rainbow looking discoloration but that comes off very easily. I also suggest the high temp type 309 foil for everything even low temps. If you have trouble with blades sticking to the foil you can put a light dusting of talcum powder on the blade and it wont stick. Stay with it, consider every mistake a lesson learned. Believe me I've learned a lot from mistakes.

Thanks Darrin. What I did was lay the blade on the foil and wrap the blade twice. Then took the ends of the foil and folded them toward the center of the knife. Used a pair of pliers to gently crimp the foil at the ends and where it was folded on the blade section. The foil is old and has been laying around for some time. I will order some out tonight and see what happens with the next blade. Thanks again for your response.

Rick

Last edited:
Are you using a "tested" oven or just some sort that was made up? Stainless steels require extra care in heat treating. I suggest if you don't have a good oven send them out for heat treat and send the cardon steel ones too. Certainly the colours may run the same when they blades are heat treated but that isn't going to tell you that a good heat treat took place. Frank

I think it was the way it was wrapped allowing to much oxygen in. I take a piece of foil and fold it in half,lay the blade in spine down,then fold the top over a 1/4" and use a piece of wood to seal the edge,then fold over another 1/4" and seal again.Then do both ends the same. Will make an air tight packet.
Stan

I do a lot of heat treating. For myself and alot of the Dogs. Dont know exactly how clean you are wanting your steel to come out. I grind to a 220 grit finish, and start back with a 400 grit and on down from there. and you were not clear on the 1080 blade. Dont put it in foil, oil quench it. Any questions you might have, feel free to call me. Number is on my website www.omachearleycustomknives.com
GOD BLESS!!
Michael

Back