Swamp People Brush Cleaver

grafton

Mixture of forging and stock removal on this one, my 4th knife.

Kind of a blend of old and new

Blade is about 10" x 3" and cut from an old rusty brush axe.
some hot cutting, a bunch of hacksaw blades and I had to break out the sawsall towards the end!
Lots of character (pitting) on one side where the blade must have been laying on the wet ground.

Handle is I think African mahogany, I salvaged from the headstock of a busted up guitar. The holes where the brass tubing goes through the handle were the holes for the guitar tuners, three on each side.

The handle is epoxied and coated with super glue.

Sheath is from an old saddle, stiched with waxed cotton thread. Welt is from old tack.

Small pouch on the front for steel striker, tinder, whatever, holds a Church & Son kirdashi at the moment.

decoration is bone from a deer leg ball joint and some warthog hair.

Looking forward to fall, forging in 100 degree temps and humidity is rough!

Thanks for looking.

IMG_5266.jpg

IMG_5271.jpg

IMG_5267.jpg

IMG_5262.jpg

IMG_5261.jpg

Thanks Darrin. It is only 1/8" thick at the spine.. However, I am sure it can take a decent beating as I have several brush axes that are thin but springy and you can wail on some pretty stout limbs without any issues. I quenched in warm oil and tempered in the oven. Took a pretty nice edge and held up after I hacked apart a 2x4 in the yard.

May see a little heavy chopping but also camp chores and the onions did not stand a chance. Along with the onions, I brutally hacked up a large number of garden cucumbers and they are now burried in a bowl of vinegar...mmmmm.

I plan on making the next one from the other half of the blade as I pretty much split the brush axe down the middle length wise.

Size Does Matter. It's an onion chopping, cucumber killing, charcoal forged, saddle wearing re-made in USA representation of American Heritage Artwork.
And that chopper you made ain't bad either.
Outstanding, I wondered where you have been, thought maybe you had to work, now we see you've been out playing.
Did you anneal before cutting? Some of the old farm steel you can score with a cold chisel, bring to heat and pour water on the score and it will snap in half. I love the guitar parts, now the Mrs. will be all over you about bring home "junk". Some of the saddle leather was "stuffed" with wax and lasts forever.
I LOVE it, the overall package is great, even with the pig hair......Randy

Thanks Randy. I did anneal before cutting. still felt like it took forever.

I have been busy working but got some time to play yesterday and finish this up.

The leather was real dry but after some oil and wax it came back to life.

Could not resist with the pig hair.

Yeah, when my wife wants me to throw something away I usually just move it around. Buys some time until I can find a use for something!

very good you have fallowed the first tenat of neo tribleism nothing is wasted. keep up the good work Gary

I feel a little odd saying this to another guy, but... That's a really nice package ya got there! haha... Like the others, I love seeing things reused and you did a great job!

That's my kind of knife. Beautiful in it's simplicity and one that you will use for years to come. Nice work.

grafton, I forge in the heat, but with a large floor fan keeping me company. Love the wide blade & the sheath........both niceeee! Bill.......

Randy, take your meds :)

Thanks Bill. A fan is a good idea but it is not as neotribal as dunking my head in the slack tub ;) Plus, I would need a hell of an extension cord to reach where I am working.
My problem is that I get into what I am working on and I forget to take enough breaks for water or anything...end up overheated.

Glad you all liked the package. It was fun to work on. Looking forward to the next one as time allows......

grafton,
I forge sitting in a chair & always have plenty of drinking water right next to me. Also, my anvil & tools are inside a small shed that's shaded by large leyland cypress trees. My forge is within reach, but outside this shed, so it's a nice little setup that works for me. I run a 50' extension cord to the fan that's blowing towards me & out the door where the forge sits(out of the fans' draft). Keep on hammerin'............Bill

You did a real nice job on the Brush Cleaver/Chopper/Bush Knife & Sheath Combo, I really like this one ! Thank's for sharing all the picture's,

Back