JB Weld and Guards

d37fan

When using JB Weld on the guard, how do you apply it without getting it everywhere, and what do you clean it up with. I am getting ready to do my first one, and I know how messy I try not to be :12:, so any ideas or suggestions would be great.
Thanks, Dale

Dale,
JB works very well if you're careful.
I dry fit the guard so the last 1/16th" to 1/8" will be a pressure fit to the blade. use a wrap of tape in front of where the guard will seat, within 1/8". Coat the whole front of the guard with anything waxy...Chapstick works and smells good. Lightly and evenly coat the tang and inside of the guard slot, it won't take much JB. Press on your guard and go do something constructive for a half hour or so. You'll be tempted to screw around with it.....but leave it alone . When the JB that bulldozed in front of the guard feels rubbery , then remove the excess with a tooth pick or anything softer than your blade or guard. Clean the area with a Q-tip and acetone. Only remove the tape after you're sure you're completely done. Remember that if your guard fit is sloppy, you'll wind up with a grey line between the guard and blade. You should'nt see any JB at all after clean up. Use common sense and Good luck.

Rudy

I put eh mixed JB wel on both the knife tang and around the shoulders as well as in the notch of the guard. I slide the guard on th knife and put the knife tang in the vice with a spring pushing against the guard when the guard is position correctly and tight I tighten up the vice. I then come back and clean up the extra JB weld with some Laquer thinner. and a clean rag. I let it dry overnight.

i cut a bamboo skewer on angle to use as my scraping tool after the JB gets half hard (dont forget and think you can get it in the morning cause you will not have a good way to fix it by that point )

once the worst of the JB is off then its a Qtip and WD40

+1 on WD-40 and Q-tip. I dont wait for the JB to start setting up. I spray the Q-tip with WD, wipe, repeat till clean.

-Josh

I use rubbing alcohol and broken (jagged end) Popsicle (craft sticks) sticks to scrape around the bolster edges. I spend several minutes cleaning it up but it is still way easier and cleaner than welding.

Back