4th of July - What did you do?

BossDog

KnifeDogs.com & USAknifemaker.com Owner
Staff member
What are you going to do or what did you do for the 4th this year?:cool:

The weather here looks great today until late tonight. I am on vacation this week so most of the week will be at the shop catching up on things there.

Today, I will take my wife for a ride on the Harley and give my son a motorcycle riding lesson on the little Yamaha.
I'll throw the tennis ball for my black lab rocky to fetch until he get's too hot. I'll probably do that a couple times. It might be his favorite thing to do.
I'll probably run down to the shop for a few hours at least today. Plenty of things to work on there..

I will also shoot off the golf ball mortar. This little thing shoots golf balls several hundred yards with a black powder charge. It shoots them out so fast I had to paint them a dark color so I could see them go. Since I live next door to a golf course (in the country) I will try and wait for some golfers to be close to us just on the other side of the small tree line where they can't see what is happening. When the mortar goes off, there is usually some colorful language. Rocky goes nuts. He want's to chase something when it goes off...Huge fun.

Went horseback riding for a few hrs , made some tasty BBq , actually worked on a few blades. had 2 shots of some single malt scotch ( dewars) bottled in 1928 . overall had a pretty good time , except for some patchy rain , wasnt too bad kept the temps down . We are lucky to live in this great country . have a good 4th ..... Bubba

Taking Chip (the McNab in my avatar) for a couple mile hike along the waimano valley, maybe catch a movie, and then tonight watch fireworks from the deck of the USS Missouri. Have a happy Independence Day folks!

... ok, so we skipped the movie, went to Home Depot and got some more clamps and fiberglass resin and I attempted my first batch of "mycarta" using strips from an unserviceable NWU blouse. (That's the blue digital camo pattern the Navy recently switched to.) Gonna grill some steaks, then go to the Mighty Mo for the fireworks!

Last edited:
Got up around 330am and headed to the lake. Not a great day, but my mom caught a largemouth 3lb10oz and I caught one 2lb3oz. Biggest fish I've caught in years! plus my son caught a few bream and that was enough to keep him happy, despite being awake at 4am and standing in the sun for 5 hours.

Bout to cut my birthday cake... :D

Finished up 5 sheaths. Put my mark on 8 knives and then sharpened all of them. Grill duty was pork chops and chicken. Good to go now. Had potatoe salad , garden fresh tomatoes, and ice cream and strawberries for desert.

Got up about 5, drank coffee and watched the sun come up. Went out to the shop/garage and ground two blades, put a final coat of Homers on a knife handle. I mowed the front yard...found that ratchet strap in the tall grass by the side of the house... fixed the mower. Threw the ball with Luke our black lab, explained to my wife why the back yard wasnt mowed yet. Took a nap because I could. I'm off this week...so I hope to get some stuff done...and napping.
Everyone have a great 4th..and remember those who made it possible.
Eric

Just got back into town from a little camping trip up north with Angie and Lydia. Didn't catch one darn fish but I did improve my suntan and kept a pretty good beer buzz going most of the weekend :biggrin:

Along the way we passed through the town where I was born... oddly, they still haven't erected the plaque that says "BirthPlace of Internationally-Known KnifeMaker James Terrio"... gonna have to talk to the mayor about that!! By pure luck we were in town on an ice run just when the parade got started Sunday afternoon, that was cool :)

Was gonna go on my annual golf outing to a nice course in Central Minnesota but the group finally called the trip off.
We really like it there, it's just that there are always strange explosions and barking dogs and it's hard to concentrate on my game.....so I took the wife for a drive up the Door County peninsula of Wisconsin. It was a nice trip.

Hand sand.....sand some more....barbque...hand sand...mirror polish.
I chased 3-4 deep scratches all day. I love my time off.

Rudy

Airsoft target shooting in the garage, BBQ tritip, beer. If the rain stops we will do fireworks for the kids. I have 73 fountains plus some other stuff.

Slept later than usual then took the little white dog over to the park for a short walk... it was hot & humid! We got about 50' from the parked truck and Casper was attacked by a 3' snake. Luckily Casper did a bit of a 'jump back jack' maneuver and avoided getting bit before the snake slid down the bank to the stream below. The rest of the day was spent just relaxing in the A/C house.

Nadine and I headed up to Mountain View, Ar. Saturday morning. I had planned to spend Saturday up at Jim Crowell's shop and he called on Friday to invite us to a BBQ on Sunday, so we rented a cabin and stayed the entire weekend. I got to spend a majority of Saturday in the shop with Jim and a couple of hours Sunday and another couple of hours today. Nadine and I spent the whole weekend hanging out with Jim and Jennifer and the extended family yesterday.

A pic from the shop
f79888ef.jpg

Somehow during the middle of the fireworks show last night John Perry managed to fall asleep. I'm not sure if he had a rough day in the shop or if the excitement of the day and Chuck's amazing burgers, dogs, and boudin just finally put him down for the count.

11105485.jpg

Tomorrow I'll take some pics of a little something I got to help Jim work on over several visits to his shop (hey, someone has to sweep the floors and vacuum the benches).

Spent most of the day repairing an older John Deere lawn mower, drive belt and two plastic idler pulleys' broken, (Why any plastic in a Mower? 5 years old)Then went to daughters and watched the grand-kids swim and run wild. Ate too much and came home, not much of a day to brag about. Managed to get a piece of steel blown (fan) past my goggles to get in my eye while sharpening the blades. Finally remembered the magnet trick this morning, eye feels so MUCH better.

Back