Marine design

maxcutter03

I asked a Marine to help me design a knife. I asked him to look at all the knives that he used and tell me what he liked and disliked and what was lacking and would be added to a blade. This is what we came up with. These two are going out to NC next week to be tested. If they become Marines I will be making and shipping more.

Specs.

OAL 12 1/2"
Blade 7"
Steel 1086V
Handle material tan Linen and burlap micarta
Bolts Corby

My work is usually clean and all that but the knives were requested to be rough and no frills. so I stopped at 50 grit and etched the blade a little to take away the shine.

IMG_5368.jpg

This Marine likes 'em! The jimping across the scales and the crosshatch finish is really nice. Exposed tang is good too. How does 1080V handle corrosion? It was dry-ish in Iraq but it gets wet in Afghanistan. And were about to go back to our amphibious roots and focus on MEUs, which means months of salt air then rapid deployment to wherever. That'd be my only question mark? Oh, sharpening serrations in the field - they're handy as all get out. But most of my guys don't know how to keep a straight edge sharp, ne'ermind those beatiful gator teeth you put on the back! A little how-to on a laminated card, maybe with a sharpener included?

These first two are for field test. Any material could be used to make these. 1086V is a carbon, maint. required. These first two are Prototypes for testing. Serrations....Keep the tips sharp and the rest will cut. I plan on putting a card with these and sending a diamond sharpener.

That is some grim reaper blades!!! One look at those and a guy would be looking around for the grim reaper. grin
Really awesome Marvin.

They look like they could do the job. I've never served in the military, but I was an army brat as my father was a lifer. I've seen some wicked knives, but those look like they mean buisness. I'm curious if you would care to share how you did the serrations on the top...might make a good tutorial.
Eric

They look like they could do the job. I've never served in the military, but I was an army brat as my father was a lifer. I've seen some wicked knives, but those look like they mean buisness. I'm curious if you would care to share how you did the serrations on the top...might make a good tutorial.
Eric

You are the third or forth person that has ask me to do that. I am thinking about doing one in the near future. You need a ruler, a chainsaw file, a triangle file and some time. This is a center cut but you could do a one sided cut but you have to file at a steeper angle. Make a mark every 1/4", with your triangle file make a score on each mark so your round file can have an accurate start. File all the way through until you just start to go through. In the spaces between your round filings do the same with your triangle file. Turn over and mark the center of each round divot, I eyeballed it. Repeat the filing on side two.

Marvin that is one of the best combat designs I have ever seen. I would think the saw would be great for constructing hides for snipers and general field use. Be surprised if you're not busy with this order....

Update....These are headed to Camp Lejeune in NC to be tested to see if they are worthy of becoming a Marine!! These prototypes should be getting rigorous use by this weekend.

Back