1st Sheaths!

Rob Nelson

img2821.jpg

Parts for a kydex press.

img2823.jpg

Finished ... don't like the tie down method. Wound up sitting on it while I was doing something else.

img2825.jpg

Shop tour ... yep, that's all of it.

img2828.jpg

Here we go!

img2829.jpg

2 with large tek locks, Mrs. Nelson didn't want a lock or clip ... wants to be able to put it in her purse.

img2830.jpg

Everything looks shiny because I washed the sheaths out with hot water to get the loose dust out, cleaned the blades off with acetone, then wiped them liberally with mineral oil before putting them back in. Had to make some washers ... still have to make some more, the chicago screws I ordered were too big. I was very surprised by the amount of tension you could generate tightening the screws against the neoprene washers that come with the tec-locks. Eventhough the seam edges are touching, there's still room to work with. I need to loosen up the first one a bit - its very heavy, 1/4" O1 steel, and I tightened up until it wouldn't fall carried up the inverted position, and now its childproof :biggrin:

Last edited:
Nice sheaths. I usually use some Armour All on my kydex sheaths. I'll have to try some mineral oil sometime.

Ric

knives and sheaths looks great. what handle material are you using on the knife for the Mrs.?

That'd be Corian. If you know anybody who remodels kitchens and bathrooms, they might be able to hook you up with scraps. Or shoot Steve Janik a PM, I hear he has access to a lot. It was fairly simple to work with, and its freaky cool to the touch. Evidently it has no heat retaining molecules in it, so its always cold.

Back