A D2'r on 7/1/11

ArtinNC

Just finished "MODEL #31" OAL 9 3/8 , Blade length from plung to tip 4" D2 Rc at 60 and etched. Black micarta bolster and tan micarta handle, and tapered tang. I wanted to put black pins in the bolster but the fellow was in a hurry and I didn't have any on hand, so he said to make all the pins brass.
The handle is just finished to a 60 grit for grip.
100_2257-B.jpg

100_2255B.jpg

And thanks for looking.

I htink it looks great. The brass pins look good two I think they bring in some contrast in the bolsters.

I took the blade to 800 girt and I etched it just like you would damascus. Really it's a dark gray.

hey art did you use PCB from radio shack? the knife looks great but did we expect anything less from you great piece.

Something different this time. Looks great. Just shows how the right combination of different materials can come together and look so good. Wish l'd thought of it.

Yes, I used PCB from radio shack it works great on D2 if you etch it deep it will not ware off.

And thanks for all trhe comments.

Calvin,
The deeper you etch it the better the it holds up. Here is another one that I did it hasn't been sharpened in this picture , but after I sharpened it and cut a lot of card board the finish still looks the same.
100_0933.jpg

Really nice looking. Is that hollow ground? I like it enough that I might try to copy it for a personal use knife.
Great job.

Yep, thats a nice lookin piece and the best lookin finish I've seen on D-2. I gotta try it. Do you do a few short etches or one long one?

Last edited:
Really nice looking. Is that hollow ground? I like it enough that I might try to copy it for a personal use knife.
Great job.

Yeah it's hollow ground. I ground it with a 10" wheel. You can copy any thing I make, I don't care .

Back