First forged knife

jonathan creason

Forged this one out of a bar of 1084 using a 2 brick forge and a post anvil. Been wanting to try the paracord wrap for a little while, so I thought this one would be a good one to give it a shot on. It's not nearly as nice to look at as a piece of spalted wood, but dang it feels nice in my hand.

knife1.jpg

knife2.jpg

Thanks guys, I really appreciate it. I had to spend lots, and lots, and lots of time with a file in my hand or at my Craftsman grinder to get it to its final shape, but I started the process with a hammer so I'm counting it. :D

Dean, it's just 2 soft fire brick sandwiched together with a hollow area bored out of the middle. I drilled a hole in the side of one for my torch to run through, and I heat it with one of the propane "weed burner" torches.

Doug, I haven't tested its cutting ability yet, so it may be nothing more than a piece of steel. I haven't got a sheath made for it yet, and I'm always hesitant to put the final edge on one until I've got a way to protect it, and myself. I hope to be able to test it out soon.

Tape the edge with a couple of thicknesses of blue masking tape to protect your fingers and other body parts. Regular tape works fine but the blue stuff doesn't leave as much adhesive on the blade to clean off. I've even seen people who have used eletrical tape but you'd probably need some acetone to remove the adhesive residue from the blade.

Doug

Finally put an edge on it last night and I'm pretty pleased. Got it popping hair pretty easily and after cutting some paper, foam, and a piece of hickory it still shaves.

Back