1080 and grilled pork loin

Rob Nelson

I used my recently finished 1080 knife, which had been finished to 1000 grit then etched, to carve up a grilled pork loin - internal temperature had cooled to about 150, it had been as high as 171. I continued to use it throughout the meal, and I noticed it left a discolored swath on the blade where I used it to cut meat. It was smooth to the touch, and the center of the swath had rusty patches, with a rainbow like color effect from center to edge.

I was able to remove the swath with 0000 steel wool, although the overall blade now looks a little worn, which is okay. I thought that 1080 would be good for all purpose use, and that etching the blade would protect it from corrosion. What came off with the steel wool was rusty grit pure and simple. Did I do something wrong? Do I need to wax the blade? I keep it oiled.

My wife's D2 did just fine, only a very very faint amber sheen that you can only see if you're looking for it.

I was about to order a bunch of 1095 to make some utility knives as gifts, and I had hoped that they'd be as useful cutting meat over a campfire as any other task.

Help!

Carbon steel blades are going to discolor with use which will not effect the performance of the blade at all. D2 is almost stainless steel and the high chromium content in it will protect more against staining and rust. With carbon steel blades it is important to use, wash, dry and put it away to keep honest rust from forming. A light coating of oil or wax won't hurt anything either. Make sure that the wax or oil is something that you can eat. Some might question how hygenic it is but skin oil, especially from the nose or behind the ear, has been used to coat blades to reduce rusting. Also, you can carry a knife in a sheath but it's better not to store it in one.

Doug

I just had the same thing happen with a 1075 fillet/boning knife I made as a test piece. I figured I might as well make the whole blade look used so I cleaned it back up did a light mustard etch on it. I have heard that the oxide layer can provide some amount of protection, plus it looks pretty good. As said above carbon steel can and will stain a bit with use. Keep em' clean, dry and protected with a light coat of oil.

Thanks guys! I anticipated discoloration, but not as severe - wish I took a picture to show y'all. Especially since I had polished it to mirror and then etched it w/Radio Shack etchant (2 pts water, 1 pt etchant). My thought was something on the blade: metal polish, 0000 fibers ... something reacted. Its all cleaned up now anyway, and oiled. Grilling chicken tonight so we'll see!

Back